Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitch constant itching after having pups 9 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ameliaroseob, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Ameliaroseob

Ameliaroseob PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My English bull terrier gave birth to 8 beautiful pups 9 weeks ago. She has been an excellent mother and they left us last week. However she has been constantly itching for past 5 weeks, so much so that she has scabs and bald patches.
    she has had all flea and worming treatments, clean bedding and no change to diet (raw diet) or environment.
    we are at a complete loss as to what it could be from.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Have you contacted a vet at any point?
    5 weeks is a long time to be in such discomfort without treatment

teddylion and Sarah H like this.
  3. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Senior

My first thought would be a homone imbalance although having bred her you would have had her and the pups checked afterwards and you would have told your Vet about the itching or they would have seen the issue for themselves ...treatment if it is to offer spaying or chemical homone replacement

Ameliaroseob likes this.
  4. Ameliaroseob

Hi
    Yes the vet gave us anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo to treat it which seems to give very temporary relief. The Vet also took scrapings for mites which were negative. We’re taking her again tomorrow but he seems to be at a loss as to what is wrong.

5. Ameliaroseob

she’s been to the vets a total of three times actually. They just haven’t worked out what it might be

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Is the flea treatment you have used a Spot on type,my EBT scratched himself raw after the first time he was treated I now use flea tablets from the vet:)

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd hope not, as you don't put spot-ons on nursing bitches. As the pups left last week, a spot-on could have been toxic to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice