Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bitch and bitch or bitch and dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by littledigger, Jun 4, 2010.

1. littledigger

littledigger PetForums Member

Our Charlie is now fully potty trained and we want to get another Dachshund. But which sex? Charlie is female, so, will she most likely get on with another female or a male? Advise would be brill, as we want to start looking straight away.

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i would say dog. bitches i think are more likely to be a bit snippy with one another.

how old is your current pup? it can be very difficult to have two puppies at the same time. there is an 7/8month difference between my two, and thats been difficult enough!!! i wouldnt have a smaller age gap than that. iv had to retrain my older pup with certain things, and the younger pup picks up some of her bad habits.

dont get me wrong, it has been fun, and i wouldnt change them for the world. but it also hasnt been the easiest thing in the world!

3. littledigger

Charlie is 7 and a half months old. What things did your older pup do for you to have to do some re-training, was there any jealousy between them?

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I've got 5 entire bitches here and they seldom have a cross word.

I totally agree with this, some dogs can also go off the rails when they hit adolescence - and become a bit of a handful - not the ideal time to bring in another pup.

==============

Also, if you are thinking of getting a dog, is your girl neutered, is she going to be neutered? Would you be able to keep them apart for around a month when your bitch is in season and be prepared for what could be a lot of hassle.

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

well she was already quite excitable, but she got a lot worse when kody came along. just basically retraining her to pay attention to me, listening to commands etc. im sure most of it was just due to being excited about having a new friend to play with.

i think yes a little bit of jealousy. if he was getting attention, she would misbehave a little bit to get the attention back on her. she doesnt really do it anymore though.
    they also do bicker over chews and toys, but its all in fun really. they are never aggressive to each other. if one gets annoyed by the other, its usually a growl or a bark and thats it.

you will also need to walk them seperately to start with, just so the new pup learns to walk properly and doesnt depend on the older dog to be there. so be prepared for lots of walking :p

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I agree sometimes 2 bitches will fight and nothing is worse than 2 bitches fighting but bitches can get on well. I have 6 entire bitches and don't have a problem I have a dominant bitch and the others will not argue with her.

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I don't know much about your breed temperament wise, but I have 4 entire bitches and to date not a single word.

8. littledigger

Wow, this is brilliant and honest advise. I think it might be better to wait until adolescence is over, but when will it be over, is it usually about a year old?

Also, i think Charlie should meet any new pup before we get it so we can see if she will like them.

Does this sound sensible?

9. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I think which sex is totally personal preference. I have 5 females in the house atm, and no problems at all. All neutered apart from one.

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A breeder may not want a strange dog around their young pups.

11. littledigger

Yes, thats a good point. I was being selfish. I suppose a good breeder would take the pup back if Charlie didn't take to it.

12. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Generally they say opposite sexes get on better as there isn't that charge their for dominance or higher status between males and females. However it differs from dog to dog, this is just a general theory.

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I have 3 bitches. 3 different breeds (collie x, german shepherd and mastiff) and all get on very well :)

14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Bitches can be real "bitches" as far as dominance goes, but saying that I had 6 and they never had a cross word, dogs and bitches are more preferable tho I think.

15. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

I have 3 bitches (3 generations) and the old girl is def the pack leader but the other 2 just play with each other and ignore her!!! Mum has 6 bitches and they all get along too. I suppose it depends if 1 or both are spayed aswell when it comes to mixing sex's as you will have a headache every time the girls in season

16. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Whilst bitches can live together very well it can also lead to a lot of heartache, my sheltie Ailsa was killed by my sisters female staffie, they were very close and saw each other at least once a week but one day that awful thing walked up to Ailsa and killed her. I also know of other households where bitches have killed other resident bitches. There is quite a good saying ''Dogs fight for breeding rights, Bitches fight for breathing rights'', I'm not saying don't do it just please be very careful.

Terri

17. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

i hve 5 dogs - 3 bitches and 2 dogs :) my 3 bitches havent been spayed, 2 of them are 2 years old & the other has just turned 6 months old, plus theyre all differenet breeds - ESS, Labrador & a Staffie :) i havent had any problems with my bitches staying together at all :D

My 2 dogs are both neutered, aged 9 & 5 years old and both again are different breeds - alsatian/collie cross & a whippet - again they both get on fab as do all 5 :D

18. littledigger

When i play with our Charlie, i like blow noises on her tummy, which she loves, i think! So, if i get a male, i don't want to accidently, well you can imagine. Also, i have no intention of breeding and Charlie will be spayed in few months time, and any male would be castrated as well. My question is would this change there moods for the better or worse?

19. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

20. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

saying and castrating great idea for both at the rights times, we have a dog and a bitch both neutered.
    just to reiterate, i would go for dog bitch, i prefer dogs but got a bitch because of all the heratache it can cause, a friend of mine had 2 bitches and one killed the other, accidently obviously, a puncure mark in the wrong place, but the were best mates most of the time but fought every few months, the rest of the time they were great together, she didnt want to rehomed one and one died. She was a great dog owner and trainer, really knowledgable and knew her stuff, it was tragic bless her.
    and you wont catch his wotsits :confused1: i blow rasberrys on my staffies tummy all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice