Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit scared of new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jobeth, May 30, 2010.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I know I've only had him a week, but sometimes I get scared of him nipping. When I walked across the room he jumped up and wouldn't let go of my clothes. He can sit and is starting to come when called. I'm trying the command of 'leave it' which he will for a treat. I'm not sure this is a good idea, as then he will do it again to get a treat. I have lots of toys to distract him and he will sit before I throw them. I'm taking him to puppy training classes next week, but I wonder if there is anything else I can do. I've read the nipping puppy thread, but going 'ow' or turning my back doesn't make any difference. Thanks.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

What breed of dog?

Sounds like perfectly normal puppy behaviour, so don't get to worried.
    But it's not acceptable behaviour for us humans so it's good that you are trying to do something about it.

When he bites your clothes try yelping/squealing as if he's bitten and hurt you - puppies will do this to their litter mates to let them now they've got to rough - and stop still completely ignoring the puppy if you can.
    Some dogs find the yelping a bit exciting and it can hype them up more if this is the case try using a short time out.

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

What breed and age is your pup?

Blade is doing this at the moment too! Feet are not safe especially if they are naked ones!! LOL

I just say 'NO' really loudly and walk away finding him a toy to distract him! :thumbup:

They do grow out of it, i remember Logan doing it when he was a pupster too. He actually ripped a pair of my sons trousers when he was little!! Ooops!

I think it is the movement they go for, have a tennis ball in your hand and roll that across the floor as a distraction when he does it i am sure he will soon grow out of it!

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks. He is a cross between a Lhasa Apso (?) and a poodle. He is 12 weeks. When he calms down and isn't nipping he is lovely and is really good at following commands. I will try the time out as I don't think he will like that and will give him time to calm down.

5. leashedForLife

did U read any of the links in the thread, jo? :--)

like the article - the bite stops here in post #3?

how about post #16 -
    one of the links below has a link to TWO * FREE * BOOKS on-line, on the Dog-Star-Daily website...
    post #102 Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Help with a nipping pup

#104 Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Help with a nipping pup

#105 Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Help with a nipping pup

106 - Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Help with a nipping pup

114 - Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Help with a nipping pup

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice