Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit sad.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Howl, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

I feel a bit silly posting this but I am hoping you'll understand here I just found the paperwork for when I picked M up last year. It says she was 6 not 4 :(. A year has past too which makes her 7. I feel like I have lost that time with her somehow. :crying: I must have been told that she was 6 because my post in here says 6, I think I must have got mixed up as we were told 4 at the start and I know the breed live to a good age usually but still I feel sad.
    Her spaying op is coming up in November and now I will probably worry more about her going under anesthetic.
    Treasure every day with them is the only answer :eek:.

2. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I know how you feel as we had something similar but in reverse. Sorting through stuff, found Snowey's 'birth certificate' and I'd got mixed up and she was a year YOUNGER than we had thought. I felt that I had somehow been blessed with an extra year!

OH was saying "She'll still live the same amount of time" and I was "Yes - But we have another YEAR!"

He couldn't quite see where i was coming from, and I have to admit, I know it was daft. But psychologically, I felt that I'd been given a great gift, so I can perfectly understand how you feel that fate has cheated you.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

(((Hugs))) it doesn't sound silly.
    When we got Missy we were told to tell the insurance she was 6 but no one is really sure how old she is and because she has so few teeth the vet couldn't make an accurate assessment - the reason they said 6 is becuse it's difficult to get new insurance over 7 plus the little history they had seemed to indicate she was about that age.
    However we'll never really know and it does worry me that perhaps she is older :( - but then I reassure myself that she may actually be younger :)

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I was told Jack was 10, he's actually 8... Leanne pointed out that I have more years of him destroying my house to look forward too.. :huh:

Don't worry about her. She's still the same dog, age is just a number :)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It doesn't sound silly, I would feel sad too - not sure why that should be. Hope you're feeling a little better now after the initial surprise :).

6. Fluffaluff

Fluffaluff PetForums Member

Its not silly at all :w00t: instead you should make a huge fuss and have doggy cake, extra time is extra time. Hope you feel a little better having got it out and realised a teeny tiny mistake was made.

7. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

I have less time though hun, the other posters have extra time but I have been pottering around for the last year thinking she was 4/5 when she is really 7. Her teeth are good and she is very energetic (just leapt off the sofa and run to the door barking "burglars burglars". She keeps up with my 2 year old griff on walks. She is in pretty good shape because we walk them in 2's and being not so good on her own she gets the extra walk.
    Extra snuggles is the only answer :D Thank you for the support I knew you lot would understand.
    I was very lucky tonight, one of them had knocked a plate off the table which shattered all over the floor but no one has stood on any thank goodness.
    [​IMG]

8. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Just concentrate on enjoying the years you have ahead of you.

9. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I know sort of how you feel.

I don't know Flint's age,the rescue put him at 5/6 when I got him 2 years ago.

So that puts he 7/8 now,but I don't really know and never will,so I don't know how many years I have left with him.:(

10. Roger Downes

Roger Downes PetForums VIP

I can understand why you feel sad realising she is older than you thought, unfortunately none of us can turn the clock back no matter how much we would like to. As you say "Treasure every day with them is the only answer". And at only 7, you should have many,many more years of enjoying her company.......So enjoy!!!

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I understand too,
    My lifetime foster dog is somewhere between 9 and 12, we'll probably never know how old.
    I would feel sad learning it was the top end.

I am sure with your love and super care you have many many years left together xxx

12. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry :( I know how you feel.

When I adopted my greyhound Breagha we were told she was three, vet said she was actually 6 when he looked through her records. We still had her 8 lovely years though.

13. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I understand how you feel, its like being robbed in a weird kinda way. Look on the bright side though, you thought she was 4/5 so she must still have plenty of spring in her step and has got lots of years ahead of her still. She'd probably be flattered being a lady that you thought she was younger than she actually is and would be mortified you've spilled the beans on here, lol. :)

Try not to worry about her spay, although I know we all do, anaesthetics are very safe these days and Propofol is the most widely used now (always in humans too) because it leaves the system so much faster than the old types. Ask your vet what GA is being used and request it if its not Propofol. With Mals its better for them because they recover quickly and I've always asked for it, although its always been the one they've used anyway. She'll be fine and would thank you for no more seasons if she could, so much nicer all round for her and you. xx

14. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

:( Hugs that is how I feel, how do I know for sure. No one knows how long but when it's guess work you feel like maybe they might be older and you just wouldn't know.
    I am trying to work it out by her teeth but like I say her teeth are pretty good.
    Accepting it is an unknown it the hardest thing.
    Lets hope Craven and Doris keep them young :)

15. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

I hope you do too, thank you for the kind words it means a lot.

16. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

She is definitly springy!
    I agree about the seasons. She had a bit of a phantom pregnancy just after her season and I just feel like she has had enough of all that in her life, what with failed pregnancies in the past :frown5: Time to enjoy retirement :cornut:
    Still probably going to be a mess when I take her in, Planned the date for the beginning of next month. I know it should be safe I am just worried because it's an unknown. I am worried they might find cancer or she won't wake up or with all the failed pregnancies/breeding it may turn out to be more complex. Daft but I love this silly mutt so much :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice