Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bit of an embarassing problemo!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by becca&jack, May 20, 2010.

1. becca&jack

becca&jack PetForums Member

ok so jack is 3 now and perfectly house trained. infact since he was 3 months old he has never ever EVER done a wee inside....... UNTIL NOW

so i was round at the boyfriends in the living room and i had jack on the lead as they just got a new cat.. and i was talking to his mam when OUT OF NOWHERE jack cocks a leg on the sofa!! :eek6: i was mortified!!

he has been to that house DOZENS of times.. hes even stayed over! and never done anything of the sort.. nor has he in any of the other dozens of houses he's visited so i just dont understand it! he wasnt desperate because he'd just had one outside and it was just a tiny wee....and he didnt even seem to think he'd done anything wrong afterwards!

Luckily my bfs mam was fine about it and said that her dog had randomly done the same thing in the past. compeltely out of character.

their dog passed away a few months ago and they recently got a cat.. i dunno if that has anything to do with it? or maybe because he was on the lead (which he never normally is in houses) he thought he was stil on a walk??:confused1::confused1: its just got my mind boggled!

hes been to a few places since and not done anything wrong but im dreading taking him back there!

any ideas for the reason behind this WILD act haha ? :confused1:

2. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Sounds like he may have been scent marking, marking his territory. It probably was triggered by the arrival of the cat which you said they had got recently. We have been lucky with Harvey when we have taken him to other people's houses as he has never done this but I remember one of my brother's dogs doing this whenever they visited anywhere different.

3. becca&jack

becca&jack PetForums Member

Yeah i thought it might be that. He has been to lots of houses where people have cats though and never done it. but my bfs mam said her old dog did it in someones house once and then never again. it was like some kind of random out of character fluke. Jack has been to houses since and not done it so hopefully thats it!

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sounds like marking where the cat had rubbed itself over the edge of the sofa.
    My rescue Ziggy has never fouled indoors (other than when ill in the night), but one day she just peed in my friends conservatory. Luckily it was a tiled floor, and the friends were away (I was watering their plants). Turned out later their dog had been sick there the day before they went away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice