Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit of advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Darkstitch, May 23, 2010.

1. Darkstitch

Darkstitch PetForums Member

Just needing a bit of advice on housetraining. Logan is nearing 6 months now and his housetraining is going mostly great (Apart from the odd moment when he decides he doesn't like being left alone with the dogs so wees on the floor :eek:)

Anyway like I said it's mostly fine, but most nights he will poo and occaisionally pee. He's last let out between 11 and midnight and I come down at 6 AM to let him out but by then he's already done something in the middle of the night. I know some dogs can take longer than others to be properly housetrained but my mum keeps suggesting to put paper down for him again but I think that would just confuse him

Anyway, any advice? (Preferably nothing involving a crate as we tried the crating thing and all that about dogs don't like to mess where they sleep is a load of crap. Logan quite happily did it in his crate then danced in it :rolleyes:)

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry cant be of much help, but Ive never had a dog that isnt house trained by 6 mths, only thing I can think of is what time is he last fed? perhaps feeding too late is the problem?
    Hope you get it sorted tho.

3. Darkstitch

We try not to feed him too late so that we can try and avoid this (He's last fed at around 5 at latest) but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

When I got Barney at 6 months he was house trained day time but night time he never could hold himself. We ended up crate training him and by a year old we trusted him enough and he stopped, never done it again.

Maya was not house trained and still to this day has been known to go through periods of forgetting and doing a mess upstairs.

Rusty varies, we are still working on him. His previous owner said he was great with his house training but since being here he's been a little @ss. He's lately taken to the bathroom rather than the carpet so getting there, although so far since my mum and brother have been on holiday and had the house to myself he's not done anything.

Good luck.

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Perhaps have a think about his food? Ozzy would poo in his crate ..he did not like doing it as he would try and cover it up...or as he got older he would try and do it outside his crate....through the bars...not a nice thing to clean up in the morning...we found he was intolerant of chicken,,

juliex

6. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

hows about setting the alarm and getting up at 4am or something and letting him out?

or would that make matters worse i know you do that with young pups thru the night...

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

It is quite common when you have a few dogs,for the youngest to take longer to toilet train.Just persevere with your routine.Try and make sure he has weed and pood before you go to bed,even if it takes half an hour of standing in the garden.If you have water down at night,maybe take it up when you go to bed and see if that helps.Lots of praise when he goes outside and try and ignore what he has done indoors unless you catch him doing it.
    He will get there in the end.

8. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Anytime my dogs have a lapse in their housebroken-ness or training in general, I just go all the way back to basics. This includes potty breaks during the night time, lots of ridiculous praise and rewards for the appropriate behaviour.

You need to continue this, gradually weaning him off of having night time potty breaks until he is where you want him to be training-wise.

9. Darkstitch

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

Will carry on letting him out and standing with him until he does something. Don't really want to start letting him out at stupid o' clock in the morning incase he starts expecting this all of the time, but if it has to be done it has to be done :)

10. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

what is he eating hun?
    Could poss be working its way through him pretty fast, but he's still a pup as well so its harder for them to hold it

instead of leaving a bowl of water out why not leave a few ice cubes in his bowl instead, that way you are limiting his fluid intake but he still gets what he needs.

Failing that id say maybe get up once through the nite, dont speak to him and let him out to pee, then bring him back in (again no speaking). all i can think of, most of its been said lol!

11. Darkstitch

He has Beta large breed puppy food (I'm pretty sure that's the name), he was much worse with his pooing when we were feeding him what the breeder sent. Dunno about it going through him fast though, he mostly seems to hold it for a while afterwards or when we're all in bed :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about the icecube thing but I'm worried about the other dogs and that they might not get a drink (Knowing Logan he would probably just nick off with the ice cubes and try to chew them :lol:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice