Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit of advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Siskin, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

The infection on my knee is still there, so I have been put on a 4 week course of a/bs (fairly strong I think) and the pharmacist recommended I take a probiotic like Yakult to protect my stomach. Trouble is I hate milk and I think yakult is a milk? I wondering about a raw yogurt if I can find any, but I’m not keen on many yoghurts as I find them too creamy and dare I say it, milky. Any advice?

Cully likes this.
  2. edinoodle

edinoodle PetForums Member

Have you tried Kefir? It might have the same benefits but be more to your taste? Hope you feel better soon!

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

#3 SusieRainbow, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  4. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If you buy pro/pre biotics usually best kept in the fridge.

I tried to take bought ones but my stomach was in bits, am sure it would pass and not actually be too bad but I was in pain anyway

7. Siskin

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

oh good! I had them recommended to me after pneumonia a few years ago and some 6 months later I wasn’t back to anything like full health and they help a lot.

Siskin likes this.
  9. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I take Kefir every day to help my gut health after years of taking ab's unbalanced it.
    But if you really dislike milk you could try Kombucha, which is a probiotic tea, available in many grocery stores.

Siskin likes this.
  10. Siskin

I bought the pills that @MollySmith recommended and have been taking them. So far seem fine, no digestive issues noticeable yet

Cully, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Remember to take the probiotics at least two hours separate from the antibiotics. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria, including probiotics.

I would suggest you add s.boulardii, unless it's already in the product you are taking. S.boulardii is a yeast based culture, and is not killed by stomach acid or antibiotics, it colonizes in the intestines instead of the stomach.

Hope you are feeling better. xx

12. Siskin

The instructions for the pills said not to take at the same time as the a/b’s, so I’ve been careful about that. I’ll look into S.boulardii, as it’s not on the ingredients list

I’m fine in myself, the a/b’s are to sort out the knee infection that’s developed on an incision. Don’t know if it’s a hangover from the infection that was there before which was excised during the op, or something new acquired in hospital.
    The nurse that examined and dressed the wound gave me strict instructions when to change the dressing if it became mucky from discharge, but there has been no discharge as far as can be seen. So I thought I would change the dressing tomorrow and inspect the area to see what’s going on and keep my fingers crossed that the a/b’s have worked and it’s cleared up. I see the doctor again next Wednesday.

lorilu and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice