UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfie is going in to be neutered tomorrow and i dread any vets visit with him because lets just say he isnt that keen on vets and what makes it harder is i carnt muzzle him, so stressful all round really :( but it needs to be done.
was wondering if there are any do's and dont's after he has had it done and come home as im a bit worried as alfie is very bouncy and loves to jump around which i dont imagine is going to be helpful until hes healed ,do you think it may be worth bringing the crate bk out until he has healed???

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Alfie is going in to be neutered tomorrow and i dread any vets visit with him because lets just say he isnt that keen on vets and what makes it harder is i carnt muzzle him, so stressful all round really :( but it needs to be done.
was wondering if there are any do's and dont's after he has had it done and come home as im a bit worried as alfie is very bouncy and loves to jump around which i dont imagine is going to be helpful until hes healed ,do you think it may be worth bringing the crate bk out until he has healed???
It maybe worth bringing out the crate, although the op isnt as big as it is a bitch spay and a skilled vet will only do a relatively small incision and there shouldnt be too many stitches, he does need to be discouraged from jumping and leaping about, he also will need to be discouraged from licking and biting at the suture line too. Some are better then others and will leave it alone some can be devils, but you never know until they have had it.

Likely he will be fairly quiet the first night and maybe still a bit out of it.
You need to give him a very light meal, like some bland chicken or fish and rice. Discourage him from drinking huges amounts in one go too as that can make them vomit if the gulp huges amounts down. Encourage him to drink a little at a time and regularly. Dont worry if he doesnt want to eat or just eats a little the first night its not unusual.

He will have likely had a pain killing injection that will last until the next day, my vet usually sends them home with 2 or 3 days painkillers too, and sometimes even with antibiotic cover too after ops for a few days. Some do it seems some dont.

Bowel movements can be impaired for up to 72 hours so if he doesnt poop the next day or so dont worry.

Apart from that you just need to check the suture line regularly a few times a day, to make sure there is no missing stitches, no redness or discharge and no tight pulled skin, or swelling, although sometimes a slight post op swelling can be seen.

Usually you just give short on lead walks until the stitches are out, which is usually around 12 days or so give or take.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It maybe worth bringing out the crate, although the op isnt as big as it is a bitch spay and a skilled vet will only do a relatively small incision and there shouldnt be too many stitches, he does need to be discouraged from jumping and leaping about, he also will need to be discouraged from licking and biting at the suture line too. Some are better then others and will leave it alone some can be devils, but you never know until they have had it.

Likely he will be fairly quiet the first night and maybe still a bit out of it.
You need to give him a very light meal, like some bland chicken or fish and rice. Discourage him from drinking huges amounts in one go too as that can make them vomit if the gulp huges amounts down. Encourage him to drink a little at a time and regularly. Dont worry if he doesnt want to eat or just eats a little the first night its not unusual.

He will have likely had a pain killing injection that will last until the next day, my vet usually sends them home with 2 or 3 days painkillers too, and sometimes even with antibiotic cover too after ops for a few days. Some do it seems some dont.

Bowel movements can be impaired for up to 72 hours so if he doesnt poop the next day or so dont worry.

Apart from that you just need to check the suture line regularly a few times a day, to make sure there is no missing stitches, no redness or discharge and no tight pulled skin, or swelling, although sometimes a slight post op swelling can be seen.

Usually you just give short on lead walks until the stitches are out, which is usually around 12 days or so give or take.
thank you so much for the help,i will bring the crate out to try and keep him calm (with 4 kids running round ,well you can imagine alfie loves to join in lol) as for the walks well alfie is terrible on a lead and his pulling is horrenduos tbh we have been trying to stop him for the past yr with allsorts but as of yet failed (but im determind to getting him walking right,even if it takes me forever) do you think this will be a problem with the stiches ??

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
thank you so much for the help,i will bring the crate out to try and keep him calm (with 4 kids running round ,well you can imagine alfie loves to join in lol) as for the walks well alfie is terrible on a lead and his pulling is horrenduos tbh we have been trying to stop him for the past yr with allsorts but as of yet failed (but im determind to getting him walking right,even if it takes me forever) do you think this will be a problem with the stiches ??
Have a word with your vet just to make sure if he thinks pulling may be a problem at least in the earlier days.

Have you tried a head collar? gentle leader Ive found are good and a lot on here like and reccomend the dogmatic ones. You do have to introduce them and make sure they are well fitted before you actually use them.

Has he ever been to training classes that may well help if he hasnt you will have a trainer on hand that way too.
Welcome to APDT - Association of Pet Dog Trainers UK should find a trainer and classes in your area or its one organisation anyway. They only use kind fair reward based training too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking of looking for something like that now we know that alfie is deffo staying with us :) we had him as a sort of trial really as i have 4 kids and 3 under the age of 6 ( i know im mad) and i wasnt sure if alfie would settle with the chaos here lol (in my head i knew i wouldnt let him go bk to that women! long story) but a yr or so on and he has fitted in lovely with the chaos :rolleyes: hence this is why i have waited so long to neuter, classes etc.
but all forms have been changed and sent away now so by the end of the wk alfie will be offically mine on his chip yay! i carnt put anything on alfies face because he well hasnt got one ( thought maybe be able to squeese a halti on but ha ha nope lmao). will look at the link though. thank you, you have been very helpful :D.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
i was thinking of looking for something like that now we know that alfie is deffo staying with us :) we had him as a sort of trial really as i have 4 kids and 3 under the age of 6 ( i know im mad) and i wasnt sure if alfie would settle with the chaos here lol (in my head i knew i wouldnt let him go bk to that women! long story) but a yr or so on and he has fitted in lovely with the chaos :rolleyes: hence this is why i have waited so long to neuter, classes etc.
but all forms have been changed and sent away now so by the end of the wk alfie will be offically mine on his chip yay! i carnt put anything on alfies face because he well hasnt got one ( thought maybe be able to squeese a halti on but ha ha nope lmao). will look at the link though. thank you, you have been very helpful :D.
Its great news its all worked out well and he is now going to be offically part of the family. You will likely find classes will help and you will have a trainer too to help with any niggling problems he has got so well worth thinking about once he is over his op. Hope it all goes Ok, Im sure it will be fine.

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
Lenny is getting neutered tomorrow too, but he is calm in the house anyway lol.
I find boys are much easier to deal with after the op than girls, my lurcher was awful and you could have heard her sigh of relief when I let her out in the garden for a run about a week after she was spayed! Lenny doesn't really run yet though.

·
Registered
20,329 Posts
I have never really kept either bitches or dogs confined. Dogs only have a tiny wound and there is nothing internal so within reason you can treat fairly normally. I have seen dogs back at dog training classes before the stitches are out. Just try and stop excessive jumping and running around but he will be stiff and sore for the first 2 or 3 days so it should not be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lenny is getting neutered tomorrow too, but he is calm in the house anyway lol.
I find boys are much easier to deal with after the op than girls, my lurcher was awful and you could have heard her sigh of relief when I let her out in the garden for a run about a week after she was spayed! Lenny doesn't really run yet though.
aww hope all goes well for him tomorrow,alfie has so much energy bless him (think he may put me threw my paces lol)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My dog was extremely bouncy at the time I had him castrated! When he came out he was all dopey but when he came round fully I just let him do what he usually did and we had no problems at all :D

I walked him on the lead round other dogs for the first 2 days so he couldn't play just on case but without any dogs about he was free to run, again with no problems!

Just keep an eye on the wound, if it is looking red and sore try to reduce his activity a little bit until it has healed a bit more.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never really kept either bitches or dogs confined. Dogs only have a tiny wound and there is nothing internal so within reason you can treat fairly normally. I have seen dogs back at dog training classes before the stitches are out. Just try and stop excessive jumping and running around but he will be stiff and sore for the first 2 or 3 days so it should not be too much of a problem.
dont get me wrong im not a fan of the crate at all, especially as it took me so long to get him out of it (i got him and he was compleatly crate dependant bless him) but i will only use it if i need to,we'll just have to see how he gets on i suppose.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Good point, I had been putting off serious loose lead walking while we got used to Ginge, but that gives me a focus to work on for when she is spayed, I don't think her bunny rabbit walk will do her any good, she hasn't come into season yet so that gives me at least 3 months to work on that (and the lunging and the barking at dogs and cars and............)

:001_unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.