Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit of a rant

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tigerneko, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I was in the park earlier this evening with Amber and Sadie, both were on lead and both were just walking really nicely when this Lurcher appeared out of nowhere and ran at us at about 100mph... Sadie then decided it was playtime and tried to run off after him... with me still attached to the other end of the lead :rolleyes: this went on for a good few minutes, with me desperately trying to cling on to the lead and being spun round in circles! :( :mad:

Eventually the Lurchers' owner came ambling around the corner and saw me trying to cling on to a massively over excited Rottie whilst her silly dog was running round and round us in circles! I obviously didn't want to let them play... and did she attempt to call her dog away? Nope. Not once! She just walked along grinning as I tried my hardest to cling on to Sadie and distract her from her idiot dog!

Now, I know this dog, i've seen him a few times and he is a lovely friendly boy, and Sadie is friendly too, but at the moment I can't let her off lead as she is still officially on a home trial so still belongs to the rescue, and their insurance states that their dogs aren't allowed off lead in public. Plus, I doubt I would be able to recall her in a situation like that, they'd have just been running riot around the park so I wouldn't have let her off even if I could. The woman ended up making some inane comment about Sadie being strong (WELL DUH) and I just completely ignored her and stormed off :eek:

If I saw someone struggling like that with their dog, there's no way i'd allow my dog to carry on running around and winding them up - plus the fact that I had both of mine on lead, so how did she know they weren't aggressive?

Yes, I know my dog should be better trained but since i've only had her for a week and can't work miracles, that is irrelevant! Plus, I am starting obedience classes tomorrow to try and help her to focus on me around other dogs and walk more nicely, so it is being worked on, but her dog was enough to set off even the most uninterested dog!

I see her quite regularly so I may apologise for my strop next time I see her, but to be fair, she should have recalled her dog when she saw I was struggling, and I wasn't gonna hang around to explain to her, I could barely stay on my feet :(

So that was our evening walk (that I was really looking forward to!) totally ruined :(

#1 Tigerneko, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Oh dear, I do feel for you :( Some people think it's fine to let others obviously struggle because god forbid they should have to recall their untrained dog. :( It really worries me that some people don't appear to worry about recall training and they simply can't recall their dogs.

Two Eurasiers surrounded Brig on Sunday, he's on the lead as limping slightly and they just would not recall til I used the very scary voice which made them go away. They've previously attacked one of mine so I was not best pleased. :mad:

3. Ann Elizabeth

Ann Elizabeth PetForums Senior

Sorry your walk was spoiled, there is nothing worse than dogs winding yours up when they are on lead and their owners make stupid remarks like that, I remember earlier this year walking my 3 back all on lead walking nicely when a chocolate lab came bounding up cue 3 dogs trying to get out of its way - leads tangled, Mia is not dog aggressive but she doesn't like strange dogs and was crying, Lily was yapping and Max was starting to get very wound up, a couple came round the corner the usual 'he's only young, and wants to play' then the guy said 'my you've got your hands full, what a tangle you should .......' didn't hear rest as I responded that the dogs were perfectly well behaved until some (bleep) fool decided it was ok for his (bleep)dog to run around out of sight and out of control pestering other dogs!
    We all lose our cool a bit at times, hope you're feeling better after you rant, don't worry about it and don't let the memory of it spoil your next walk!!!!!

4. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I can't stand people who let their dogs do what they want. Twice now I've been to the vets and peoples dogs jump up at me, its really annoying and the owners do nothing!

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yup. Been there :mad2::mad2:. People like that will never care about anything but their own dog having fun.

6. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

That sounds awful, I certainly don't think you should be offering any kind of apology. Actually next time I think you should explain how she was in the wrong. :(

7. Canarie

Canarie PetForums Member

I really do not think you owe this person an apology.Quite the opposite.My dog is also on the lead as only had 6 weeks and am so frustrated by people's attitude.Only once,today,have I been asked if my dog was friendly as on a lead.Alll,the other owners have taken no notice,having no idea if my dog was friendly or not.Total lack of respect.....
    Gill

8. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I know the feeling.

The other day I was walking a clients dog, a young very excitable and STRONG labrador, and a pair of women were just ambling along whilst their 2 border collies were running at us and nipping at his legs, he was bouncing trying to play :rolleyes: and I was on the verge of dropping his lead due to his sheer strength.
    In the end I got really angry and told them none too politely to get their mental dogs away from me.
    It's always idiots like that that spoilt a walk.

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone :)

I suppose I don't owe her an apology, but I may well explain to her - she has seen me in the park quite a few times just with Amber though so she should have known that Sadie is a new dog.

The thing that also annoyed me though, is that say Sadie DID have a go at her dog (although he didn't actually approach us, he was just running around us in circles like a complete loon) then I would have been made out to be the bad one, and Sadie would be known as the aggressive Rottweiler in the park, because others would not think about the consequences leading up to it, and whether her dog was winding her up. The blame would instantly be pointed at my dog, x100 because of her breed.

I was really really angry about it, I ended up walking them through the cemetery for half an hour afterwards just to calm down a bit but I also used the time to work with Sadie, doing some direction changes to try and stop her pulling, and it seemed to work a bit, so maybe some good came out of it :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice