Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit of a rant

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Katieforian, May 1, 2011.

1. Katieforian

Katieforian PetForums Member

I took my cocker x springer dog to a local charity dog show today, he's not long turned a year old and is still nervous of other dogs due to bad experiances when he was a pup.
    I thought it might do him some good as he'd be meeting alot of friendly (so i thought) dogs and we could try out some agility, do some dog races and maybe enter some of the fun shows.
    I took it really slow with him, treating him at a distance from dogs until he was comfortable passing them and even had a sniff or two. I was very pleased how relaxed and happy he seemed to be near other dogs. Unfortunatly while we were waiting in line to try out the agility course a little dog that was off lead ran at him and started attacking him, i tried to get him off with no luck, then the owned appeared. His first words were 'your dog must of started it' :mad: Sprocket gets scared but never growls, bites, he just tries to hide, cry, urinates. Understandably i was angry and sprocket was more scared, jumpy than when we had arrived. I ended up going home as he was a nervous wreak, why do owner with dogs that are agressive to other dogs take it to a dog show and worse of all have it off lead! This isn't the first time this has happened, everytime we seem to be making progress we end up at sqaure one again due to other owners stupidity.
    Im starting to wonder if he's always going to be terrified of other dogs, any good experiance turns into a bad one for him :(

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh that's terrible, but unfortunately not all that uncommon! I think some people just have no clue.

Do you know anyone with a friendly dog that you could go on walks with etc.? Or some dog training/socilisation/group walks?

3. shells

shells PetForums VIP

im so sorry he had such a ad time of it. it really isnt faire on the poor thing. i hope u gave the owner a few choice words cheeky so n so

4. Katieforian

I've looked into group walks but can't find any in the area, most of the dogs i know are fine with other dogs but are very playful and that scares him too, the only dog i know that is very relaxed is my brothers dog but they live an hour away. I'll definatly ask if we could maybe look after his dog for the day and see how he gets on with her, im thinking he might be more confidant in his own home? If he finds it ok then move on to the more 'bouncy' dogs, i think the hardest thing is avoiding bad experiances inbetween meeting nice dogs.
    Thanks for the reply :)

5. Katieforian

I wish i had, i was more worried about checking to see if he was ok, by the time i'd checked him over the dogs owner had conveniently dissapeared. :rolleyes::

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

The key thing to remember, is that for every bad experience he has with another dog, get him out and having good experiences ASAP, he will soon forget.

The more good experiences he has, the better he will get.

What area are you in?

7. Katieforian

Thanks, that makes alot of sence, im feeling abit more hopeful today now :)
    Im from Cardiff.

8. Leadingtheway4k9s

Leadingtheway4k9s PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

This is all to common i see this at least twice a week with dogs i train people just do not have a clue when they let their dogs of the lead. I would get your dog back out with some placid dogs to build his confidence up again it is so frustrating to hear this.

People need educating on how to handle their dogs around others on and of the lead also when this happens it is never their dogs fault tut tut.

9. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Theres no answer unfortunately. Just keep trying, keep going at your dogs pace, and all I can suggest is if you spot a dog offlead maybe try to greet them first with your dog behind you. That way you can grab them if they lunge at your dog. Not a perfect suggestion but there's no defence against idiot owners and their stupid dogs.

It's very frustrating that many dogs allowed off lead aren't well behaved, and the owners either turn a blind eye or are too stupid to recognise it's their dog thats the problem and not yours.

Charlie plays with a nice friendly dog often - the owner told me a lady ranted at him as his dog as it was offlead and it was apparently being aggressive. Her dog was yapping at him, and his dog was just watching. She said he raised his hackles. Charlie's friend - the 'aggressive' hackle raising dog - is a Ridgeback :rolleyes: never underestimate how stupid people around you are. Just because you've got common sense doesn't mean they do.

10. Katieforian

Thank you both, im glad im not the only one that finds situations like that frustrating. In my opinion the majority of the time its not the dogs fault but their owners, they see and believe what they want to. :(

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Yesterday I took Minnie and Cooper a walk a cocker came charging up to them and Minnie started to growl and snap that started Cooper too. I told them no. The man with the cocker said to me whats the matter he wants to play. I told him I had only had them for a few days they are foster dogs and particulary dog aggressive. I told him yes they would play with his dog but not how his dog wanted to they would play with their teeth and his dog would be hurt and that his dog would be to blame as my dogs were on their leads and his dog came to them. He quickly called it away tutted at me and walked off.

How the hell am I supposed to teach these 2 not to attack and dog that approaches when people let their dogs come charging up to them when its obvious they are aggressive.

12. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

If I see someone walking a dog on lead, I know this must be for a reason, I always call our 2 back and put them on lead. Blue and Jess can say hello if they behave in a calm manner and if the other dog owner says it's OK. I do not accept my dogs dashing off to see other dogs that I dont know or dogs that are being walked on lead and I expect the same consideration from other people. Maybe us responsible dog owners are a dying breed.:confused: :confused:

13. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Don't even start me on this subject

14. Katieforian

Freyja and kirk68 thats exactly how id love everyone to be, i can understand some dogs have agression because of things that have happened in their lives etc. but dogs fighting or being attacked could be avoiding the majority of the time by their owners if they used common sence like you both do.
    There a pug x french bulldog thats walked in the same local park as we go, he's about the same age as my boy, they were both about 6 months when they met and the pug x started attacking my dog. His owner thought it was funny and said how it was him playing, when i think to anyone else it was obvious his dog wasn't playing. I then ovioded this dog if they were both off lead in the field, the pug x is now a year old and everyone i speak to says about him and how he has attacked their dog, yet the owner still lets him run off lead and doesn't try to recall him when there is another dog around. There are loads of dogs like his where i walk my dog and because their owners keep them off lead and the dog has little or no recall alot of bad situations i can't get away from :mad:

15. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

How could the id1ot say that when you dog was on the lead and his wasnt! :mad: I am yet to come across this as my pup is VERY jumpy and not scared, but if it did happen I would go mental!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice