Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bit nervous

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RockRomantic, Jun 30, 2010.

1. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

well,

council tax are saying i owe them £376 from 2005...when i left school for an address i never even heard of and have sent a bailiff out to my mums address who was proper in my face so need to sort it out today apart from yesterday this is first i've heard about this i've had no warnings about this or anything and o to council place my mum pays council tax on time but i et all nervous around official type of people ets so bad i stammer :/ boyfriend can't even come with me feel bad it's my mums stuff there threatening to take my mums work hard for everything in her house

:( hope i can sort this out today

2. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i dont think they can take your mums stuff to cover a debt that is yuors. check with the c.a.b (dont quote me on it though)

can you prove you have never lived at the address they say you were living at?

hope you get it sorted, try not to worry xx

3. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

not sure i can prove it i was just starting college at the time but the address there sayin i owe money from i don't even know where it is :S

4. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

was you still at your mums at the time they are saying its owed from?

5. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

yep i was :)

6. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

That makes it even eaiser then. Get your mum to write a letter to confirm this. If you was at college she may have been claiming family alowance (not sure on the real name of it) for you.....if she was there is more proof that you was in that house and not any other.

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If the baliffs are turning up at your Mums make sure they cannot gain access. They are not able to force their way in but are legally able to enter through an open window or door. Tell your Mum not to open the door to them as some have been known to barge past & gain access by this method especially if they are able to intimidate the occupant.
    I would speak to the council asap & try to determine where they have got this figure from & also the debt collection agency.

8. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

i'll et her to do that on saturday shes on holiday at the moment which im a bit happy about if she knows about this she'll worry herself sick was hopin to have it sort by time she comes back but i'll make sure she does it anyway :) if you can claim family allowance while working then she probably was

9. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

In my day you got family allowance automatically, (I believe it is called child benefit nowdays) everyone is entitled to it for a child in education up to the age of 18 I think. The mums on here with offspring of the right age will confirm or not. I think the poster who said they can't take from your mums address for your (alleged) debt is correct.
    Can you provide proof of where you were living on the date given, how old were you at that time and were you in employment? Yes I think the Citizens Advice Bureau should be of help to you. Good luck.

#9 pickle, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

thats the one, child benifit. I think every parent gets in even if they work, as its money for the child not the parent (shame it doesnt get used that way much though)

11. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

been and half sorted it well kinda :) bailiffs have been put on hold they've found out i was 15 on one of the dates i should have apparently paid council tax!

she said i just have to write a letter as does my mum explaining i was living with her and i was down with living with a woman i have never heard of so not sure if someone has been using my name or if it's just a massive screw up

12. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Thats a bit scary isn't it, if someone is using your name!

Its good that you were only 15 at the time, as there no way you can pay council tax at 15 is there?

Probably just a computer screw up. Who is the woman they said you were living with, why aren't they chasing her for the council tax? Wouldn't it be on college records that you were also living at your mums? Medical records, bank records, stuff like that?

13. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

woman told me you have to be 18 to pay it i wasn't living with her i've never even heard of her she's apparently called jemma meadows(?) deffo never heard of her and yeah it would i assumed seeing as i can prove i was 15/16 at the time they'd sort it out but no still have to write letters be happy once it's all sorted

14. CharleyRogan

Its good you were so young, otherwise would have been more difficult! So looks like Jemma hasn't been paying her council tax! Hope they catch her... only for the reason I have to pay mine! haha!

15. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

:lol: :lol: :lol: i'm putting a complaint in with council as well for sending bailiffs round with no warning and the bailiff was proper in my face and threatened to take stuff from the house which is all my mums just spoke to my mum and she is fuming feel well bad :(

16. CharleyRogan

Yeah! I would deffo put complaint in because you haven't even done anything wrong, you were treated like a criminal and it could have been easily avoided had they put your name and DOB together!!

17. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

yep saying that they've done that and i still need to chasing up and running around to sort it, told them any more visits of bailiffs and I'll see my solicitor straight away but hopefully it won't come to that when a phoned up other day about it woman i spoke to completely dismissed what i said and said 'doesn't matter it was different rules back then you still need to pay it'...silly mare :rolleyes:

18. CharleyRogan

haha I don't think a 15 year old has ever had to pay since they can't have a proper job or live by themselves!

Some people just don't listen and spout out company crap! I would have asked to speak to a more competent member of staff that could do basic maths!

19. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

:lol: :lol: :lol: was tempted but i put the phone down before i lost my cool :cool: prefer to talk to someone face to face anyway woman i saw today was helpfu and could explain and show what i meant easier

20. CharleyRogan

I would have probably screamed at the woman. People like that do my head in! Glad your getting it sorted and don't have to pay!

I got a summons to court for not paying council tax.... and I wasn't supposed to pay it anyway cos I was a university student!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice