Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit down :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by slakey, Mar 31, 2011.

1. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Just like to point this out first, if I knew this before getting my dogs I wouldn't of got them in the first place.

My dad is looking to sell the house in 2 years time and he told my sister that if we don't get our own place we're pretty much out on the streets, which means I may need to look into rehoming Zeus and Milo :(

Unless I'm able to buy a house or rent somewhere that will allow two dogs, both of those chances are very low, as I'm only on just under £1,000 a month.

So I'm a bit down really, if I knew this before hand I wouldn't of got Zeus and definitely wouldn't of got Milo 2 years ago.

Also another thing is if I do rehome them I want to know they're going to a really good home, and they have to go together, that is a must!

So in 2 years time I may be on here, seeing if anyone would take in Zeus and Milo :(

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

We are renting atm and we have 3 dogs ;)

What i had to do was create a CV for my dogs, and the estate agent showed it to the landlord. You have to pay a bit extra as a deposit though :(

I hope it works out for you.

3. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

You had to write a CV for your dogs... saying what?

There are a few I've seen, most of them are in rough area's, I know that there will be extra cash involved if the boys are allowed.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

What work do you do and is there any chance you could move to another area?

If you are able to move I would seriously look at Lincolnshire. Lots of manual work available its seen as a poor area but property is very cheap and there aren't really any 'rough' areas as such that I know of. Some aren't as nice as others but steer clear of a couple towns and you'd be fine. Its the second biggest county with I think the least people per square mile with something like 1/3 of them being 65+. Saying that there are plenty of young people, plenty of countryside and it really is dirt cheap. Its a like an area of the country that no one has got round to getting in and screwing up yet :)

Downside is public transport isn't massively regular, it can be done depending where you live but property is cheap there and if you go the right way about it some landlords do allow well behaved pets.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

2 years is a long time.

Im sure if you put in some hard work and effort, that you could find somewhere. Try putting an ad in your local paper explaining your situation and what you need.

This is another option: Pet Friendly Rentals UK property to rent & holiday accommodation pets welcome

You could also get yourself on your council housing list, but they do have a fair wait for properties.

6. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

No places in Norwich lol.

7. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

My brothers just got a place, they originally said no dogs but they offered the landlord an extra £50 per month rent, the landlord said ok £25!!
    Its in a nice area.
    I made sure they told them that samba has her silver good citizen certificate and goes training etc.
    You will fin somewhere :)

8. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

I can send you a copy if you want? If you want to PM me youe email add>?

Actually, let me find you the link

9. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Two years is a long time to sort something out, get yourself on housing association and local authority housing lists, lots of them accept pets and the rents are low.

If you start planning now in two years you'll be sorted :)

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

11. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

My OH, has been on there for over 2 years (plus he was claiming job seakers as he was out of work during this time), you now have to bid on houses, and then they decide if your right for it, but oyu can only bid on one house at a time, it then takes at least another 2 weeks for their decision making meanwhile you cant bid on any other houses. We didnt find them very helpful, but you could give it a go ;)

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

If you put your name on a housing assn list now you'll def have something in two years, probably even sooner.

This is a great housin assn and they are fine with pets too. :)
    Sanctuary Housing - Home

13. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Thanks for all the support and giving me information. Hopefully something can spring up in the mean time.

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

We rent out our cottage in Bedfordshire (As we currently live in tied accomodation with my OH work) but as a landlord we would defintely have accepted dogs and just took a few extra steps to ensure no problems.

You will need to ensure you have proof that your dog is flead and wormed, be prepared to pay a larger deposit and ensure there is a relevent clause in the contract that your are responsible for any damage to carpets etc caused by the dog as well as an agreement that the tenant pays for carpets/ soft furnishings to be cleaned once they move out.

As long as owners are responsible there is no reason why a dog cannot live in rented accomodation. Granted alot of landlords dont wan the hassle of pets BUT there are alot of us out there who will accept animals.

I recommend you register with some agencies early on and always be up front about your animals :)

Couldnt help seeing your location - Im a Norwich girl at heart - Beautiful City :)

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like a crap council.

Ive been on the housing list for almost 5 years now, band C, although i think that differs from LA to LA. I can bid on 3 properties each week, every week.

Sadly, ones im elligible for are few and far between.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice