Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bit concerned.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by messyhearts, Aug 5, 2009.

1. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

It's been a couple of weeks now & it feels like the two cats tolerate each other. My elder used to wrestle with my dog & both loved it. She doesn't do this any more but does pin, bite, paw and "rugby tackle" my kitten. She doesn't growl or hiss at all & it looks like play to me. Even though she does tend to bite his back & sometimes his boy parts :eek:hmy:.

The kitten, however, acts differently. He is very vocal in general & tends to meow & sometimes hiss when she does this. Sometimes he will initiate it, sometimes he will go along but usually he ends up hiding behind my legs. They will sleep together, share food, share water, share company but my adult seems to want to play when my kitten does not. Usually, she wants to groom the kitten too & he does refuse this every time so she pins him to groom him. :confused:

Now I am not sure when to intervene. When the hissing starts I make loud noises & they stop. It doesn't take much for the adult to leave him alone..

2. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Our boys been doing that to Willow who's now 9 months old. Noticed it much more recently and we were wondering if its related to her hormones. He was neutered long before willow arrived with us in February. This has been more noticable over the past few weeks and mainly occurs in the morning. Guess they must settle their differances whilst we're at work cos its back to normal when we get home :)

3. messyhearts

I don't leave them together during the day for fear of a serious spat between them. I really want to get to the stage they enjoy each others company during the day.

So you say your adult male did this to a kitten? Hmm.

4. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

He's 17 months old. Its become more noticable recently. When we got Willow initially, she was 13 weeks he acted like her mother. Grooming her, snuggling up in bed with her etc. One nights separation and they were left together overnight with no problems. Don't get me wrong she's well able to give as good as she gets and we haven't had to intervene. They're often snuggled up together when we get home from work.

5. messyhearts

Oh. So he wasn't like that from the start? Right. I don't think my adult has behaved motherly aside from trying to clean him. She spends most of the time, since meeting him, trying to wrestle. Not a good thing when she is 11lbs & he is 4lbs!

Maybe I shouldn't intervene. When I don't, he can hold his own.

6. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

lol She's a big girl then :) I'm sure the novelty will wear off and they'll settle into their cat roles. Ty's, almost obsessive motherly behaviour settled after a few weeks. The new wrestling and jumping on Willows head morning thing i'm putting down to normal teenage behaviour :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice