Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Birds and Dogs?

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Danel, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Danel

Danel PetForums Newbie

So I have two cocker spaniels both 7 years old and very protective of me and my family. One the older of the two by 8 months doesn't really care for other animals in the sense he just ignored them. (Him and my cat are friends) the other is hyperactive and zippy. He's an old puppy, he barks at nothing essentially, he hates my cat and isn't very social.

My question is. Would it be safe to own a sun conure under my current conditions?

My cat lives outside because she surprisingly hates being in the house.

My plan would be to try and keep the dogs as far away from the bird as possible for about a month and then slowly introduce them in short steps. The older dog doesn't really apply here. The younger dog is regularly in the room I would keep the bird in though, but only for seconds at a time.

Is it safe to own dogs and sun conures in the same home?

All answers accepted. Also please note that this is the only reason I don't have a bird yet. Parents worried haha.

2. Danel

Danel PetForums Newbie

Also note the younger dog isn't antisocial to other dogs. Just my cat and a stray hedgehog. And yes he's quite quiet and curious towards animals in the house. Like my rabbits who sadly died about 5 years ago. But he was their best of friends. Ok that's all thanks and again any help is appreciated.

3. Ember

Ember PetForums Newbie

Hello! I can't give much advice as Ive owned two birds but my current bird is a rosella which I guess is a similar if not bigger size to a sun conure.
    First off congrats to owning a bird if or when you do get it! :)
    I have two miniature daschunds who are both age 1-2 and had the same worries myself.
    My bird ember I said kept in my room (even though he should be kept in a busy room to get more attention when I'm out) and I was worried my dogs would freak as they chase birds in my garden and bark constantly. After a while of owning ember I put my dogs one as a time into the same room ( I done it with Ember out of the cage so he could go to a place he feels safe if anything happens).
    The oldest of the two is usually the loudest but she actually got scared when he flew so didn't bark at him.
    The youngest I was scared would bite him but she was great, barked a little when he tried to land on her and chirped at her but other than that she was excellent.
    So I'd say that you shouldn't have any worries as long a second you introduce them slowely, Either they won't care or they might just watch him.
    Best of luck! ^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice