Birds and Dogs?

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Danel, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Danel

Danel PetForums Newbie

So I have two cocker spaniels both 7 years old and very protective of me and my family. One the older of the two by 8 months doesn't really care for other animals in the sense he just ignored them. (Him and my cat are friends) the other is hyperactive and zippy. He's an old puppy, he barks at nothing essentially, he hates my cat and isn't very social.

My question is. Would it be safe to own a sun conure under my current conditions?

My cat lives outside because she surprisingly hates being in the house.

My plan would be to try and keep the dogs as far away from the bird as possible for about a month and then slowly introduce them in short steps. The older dog doesn't really apply here. The younger dog is regularly in the room I would keep the bird in though, but only for seconds at a time.

Is it safe to own dogs and sun conures in the same home?

All answers accepted. Also please note that this is the only reason I don't have a bird yet. Parents worried haha.

2. Danel

Danel PetForums Newbie

Also note the younger dog isn't antisocial to other dogs. Just my cat and a stray hedgehog. And yes he's quite quiet and curious towards animals in the house. Like my rabbits who sadly died about 5 years ago. But he was their best of friends. Ok that's all thanks and again any help is appreciated.