Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bird strike

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Siskin, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Despite having stickers on the windows to try and alert birds to the fact that they can't fly into the house, we often have birds flying into the windows. Mainly it's young birds or when a sparrowhawk whizzes through sending the birds flying in all directions.
    Today has been bird strike day, mainly blue tits who have managed to not knock themselves out and fly off with no ill effects. About half an hour ago there was a tiny little tap on the window, I didn't think a bird would have hurt itself, but went out to have a look. There on the ground was this tiny stunned little bird.
    image.jpg image.jpg

I cradled it in my hands until it began to recover then perched it in one of my small acers whilst I nipped in and got my phone. It was such a tiny little little thing hardly any weight at all, it made blue tits look big.
    I would say it's one of the warblers, probably a young chiff chaff. It's amazing to think that in a short time this tiny ball of feathers will fly all the way to Africa for the winter
    Sorry about the quality of the photos, it's not the best of phones for close up photos.

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I hate hearing that noise and always rush to the patio doors to see if there is a bird on the ground outside. We have stickers too which did reduce the number. I always pop them in a small cardboard box - open not shut in and put it out of the way of predators to give them time to recover, most fly away when they are ready apart from the lovely little Goldcrest a couple of years back who spent the night in our airing cupboard then went to a wildlife hospital the next day - he did survive and was released after a couple of weeks.

Siskin likes this.
  3. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

jill3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice