Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bird sitting on radiator

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Shuichiro Jun, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Shuichiro Jun

Shuichiro Jun PetForums Newbie

I’ve got a baby crow (jackdaw), his name is Cain and he is 8months now.
    He is very lovely and energetic, very smart too, but for some reason he keeps on going every now and then to sit on the radiator on purpose, as if he’s enjoying it, until the moment he opens his wings and mouth and he looks as if he is overheating himself on purpose? I always found it a very strange behaviour but he did it since we ever got him, he is doing the same when the sun rays hits him.
    What’s worrying me is that earlier he got his leg caught in the fridge door (not very bad, but he screamed at us so I guess it hurt a bit), his leg seems completely fine, he walks fine , rests on it fine but right after it happened, he went back again to the radiator and stood there for quite a while, then he suddenly flew away panicked and sat on top of a shelf, with one eye closing and tilting his head as if he was about to faint, his mouth and wings open too as if he was overheated again.
    I got scared so I called the ambulance but as we were chatting, he got better and started to move normally again, kiss me (he usually does that), and do small sounds to me (he does that too when he’s happy),then went for a nap and woke up completely fine and energetic.

I honestly don’t know what that was, me and my bf were worried it was because of the leg injury but his leg seems completely fine so the next question is , could it be because of radiator? Why is he going like that on hot radiators ? Even if we try to stop him, he goes back there and fights us to stay there.
    Is this abnormal?
    Any help appreciated thanks

ps: I uploaded a picture of how he usually does when he sits on hot radiators

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh I’d put towels along the top to ensure he’s not damaging the skin on his feet.

Our rads are piping hot and I couldn’t tolerate touching them for than a second or two.

As to why he’s doing it, I don’t know.

Shuichiro Jun likes this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As @Lurcherlad .

I used to live opposite a house with a slate roof, and in the summer the local rooks would lie face down on this roof with their wings spread out, like little black crosses, roasting themselves in the sun.

Perhaps this penchant for heat is a thing with this genus of birds?

Shuichiro Jun and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Has he got perches he can use? Maybe have one over the rad by the window so he can perch comfortably without the risk of getting burned?

Shuichiro Jun likes this.
  5. Shuichiro Jun

Shuichiro Jun PetForums Newbie

Yeah is definitely worth trying, I’m crafting now for him some stuff where he could sit safely.

Interesting to hear that others from his species does the same, it’s really odd, I’ve never seen it in any other bird ever.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice