Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

biorb trouble

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by lotteH, May 14, 2020.

1. lotteH

lotteH PetForums Newbie

hi guys!

so i have a 15L biorb and am having trouble with the bubbles! every time i have to switch my filter off to do a water change etc , once it’s turned back on the bubbles are jolty, weird sounds , weak or non existent. i’ve tried the blow down the tube and bubbles come out (i have to blow hard but a lot do come out) so i don’t think it’s this. my tube has water droplets but very few and i don’t think this is a problem.

i took apart my air pump and found a small amount of water in the rubber bit and cleaned this out and put back together . bubbles now are coming out, a few strange noises though. i’m sure many of you understand that u know when ur fish tank just doesn’t quite sound right! at this moment it sounds fine but i doubt this will last after my next water change...

any tips? has anyone else experienced this ?

ps. the air stone has just been replaced and so has the filter foam pad.

2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

Hello, welcome to PF.
    Hmmm this is an issue. I am glad to read that the tank is doing ok for now. I recommend getting a check valve to stop any water back siphoning into the air pump. Here is a link from Amazon to some (click here) but you can find them at any local fish store.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Is this just an issue when you turn the filter off for water changes? If so, and if it self-resolves, I wouldn't worry about it. My external canister filter can make some weird noises too when it's been unplugged and cleaned. In my case, it's just the filter forcing the trapped air out?

15ltrs is incredibly small. What do you have in there?

#3 LinznMilly, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    George Duke-Cohan likes this.
  4. George Duke-Cohan

I was not sure about it, but when i read about the water being found in the pump it made sense that it could be down to back siphoning. But also messioned is replacing the filter sponge, so i am not sure if anything is in the tank due to it probably having to cycle again.

@lotteH do you have fish in the tank or are you seeting it backup after fixing the issue?

5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

The way the Biorb system works means most of the beneficial bacteria is in the substrate although of course some will be in the sponge and changing is not recommended despite what the manufactures say, but changing it won`t destroy the cycle. If there is water in the pump it does sound like a back siphoning problem.

LinznMilly likes this.
  6. George Duke-Cohan

Ok, i get that but unless the gravel is high in pours it wont be able to hold enough beneficial bacteria for a tank to house fish. The sponge normally is what holds the highest amount of BB, but ofcourse this is down to the variable of the type of substrate used, if lava rock is used along with the substrate then fair enough. I do not own a biorb so was not sure if it had an internal or external air pump, but either way after reading when the post mensioned having to take a part the air pump, i asumed it that it was refering to the mechanics inside the air pump. But again down to speculation of the reader. Thank you for the clarification though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice