Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bin cage

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Edyth, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Edyth

Edyth PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have two bins that I am using as a habitat. My question is if 4 sq inches make that big of a difference. One bin is 34” L and 18” W which makes it 612 sq inches
    And my other bin is 32” L and 19” W which then makes that bin 608 sq inches. The 608 sq inch bin is an inch taller too so I can add more bedding. I have two hamsters, one is a dwarf and the other is a teddy bear. Which bin should go to which hamster ? Or should I get another bin that equals to 612 sq inches rather than keeping the 608 sq inches bin. I’m not sure if the bin sizes differ that much since again, it’s only 4 sq inches difference. I appreciate your help

2. Susanna11

Susanna11 PetForums Junior

4 sq inches is nothing really, so for all intents and purposes the bins have the same floor space. I would probably put the Syrian in the taller bin since they need bigger wheels and taller toys in general.

Edyth likes this.
  3. Edyth

Edyth PetForums Newbie

Okay, thank you !!

4. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

personally id put them in a proper sized cage for each, where they can see out, have fresh air, sunlight ( yes i know theyre nocturnal) etc
    bins are for storing things in, or, normally used by rodent farmers, who really dont give a carp about the anmals welfare, just the profit
    pets, which is what this forum is about, deserve more

ForestWomble and Engel98 like this.
  5. Edyth

Edyth PetForums Newbie

It’s known in the hamster community about hamster bins, you should look it up. It’s a clear bin that has more space than most pet store hamster cages and I drilled many holes and has good air flow. It’s not just any bin, it’s one made for the purpose of a hamster. I care about them very much

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Bin cages are accepted believe it or not. They can be done on a budget while still giving the hamster more room than the typical pet shop cage :) I have 2 bin cages. One for my robo. Another for when I clean out so I know they're safe. As long as it's appropriately sized and modified properly, there isn't really a problem :)

7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

You need more than 'many holes' for proper ventilation.

Please watch the video below where proper ventilation is explained (start at 9:21)

8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

My whole lid has been stripped so it's just the edges where it clips into the base. I've then meshed the whole lid

Edyth, mrs phas and Tiffanylarkins like this.
  9. Edyth

Edyth PetForums Newbie

That’s why I said “ good air flow” I don’t just have holes. I have the top cut out and covered in safe chicken wire. I did my research. Thanks anyways

10. Edyth

Edyth PetForums Newbie

Same !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice