Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bin cage

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Cherpi, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Hey, I'm looking into bin cages for when I get hamsters. I have the mesh (for the syrian, if I pick dwarfs I haven't yet found any. I was wondering if there was a place online where I could buy a good sized plastic container.

1. For a single syrian
    2. For two dwarfs

2. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Don't know about online.

I buy 110 litre plastic storage tubs from Homebase to make my bin cages. They're £12 each. They're about the same size as a Hamster Heaven, but taller.

I've heard great things about Really Useful Boxes as they have smooth sides and stack well, but they are far more expensive.

3. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Crystal 110 L Box with Lid (Clear) | eBay UK Is this the box you're talking about? Can't find it on homebase website so had a google-shopping look and this was the box that I found. Had a look on the RUB website but none that I could use.

4. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Yes that's it.

I don't bother with any cutting or anything. I just take they lid off and fold the mesh over the top.

5. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

HA! I think I will stick with the usual method as the mesh I have is hard to bend, it's very very strong. I hope the gas aren't too big (Don't think they are) How big can a dwarf hamster escape through?

6. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Depends on the dwarf hamster.

Acorn the robo escape artist is fine with 7mm spacing. Spice my russian lives in a normal barred cage 10mm spacing. Chinese hamsters can squash their heads pretty flat, but if it's squared mesh I think they'd still have problems getting out as once their heads squash in one direction, they get longer in the other direction. I think my mesh is 4mm squares.

7. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

It's like 15mm bar spacing, squared but ye, I guess that idea is out the window. is 15mm square spacing OK for Syrians? It is right? Because I bought a P@H Degu/chinchilla cage at Christmas but got a bigger cage and i trashed it so I have loads of the mesh from it.

8. Pomegranate

Pomegranate PetForums Member

9. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

thanks for the link to small mesh aswell :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice