Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Billy No Mates

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Apr 13, 2011.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm starting to get a little paranoid about ticks as there is lots of wildlife and bushes where I usually walk McKenzie.

Has anyone used Billy No Mates? Does it work? And can I use it with Advantage?

2. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i use it and haven`t had a problem with ticks :) i shouldn`t imagine it`d interfere with advantage as it`s purely herbal but if i remember advantage is effective against ticks anyway? i don`t use any other form of flea/tick repellent (well other than BNM and garlic) so couldn`t say for sure

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hmmm I just realised I use Advocate not Advantage! :eek:

The advocate says it prevents 'biting lice' amongst other things, but not ticks

4. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

haha i know nothing about those two other than advantage also covers lungworm apparently, i avoid them as i can never remember which one it is that`s toxic to cats plus jake itches like mad with any sort of flea treatment so i just avoid the chemical ones :)

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We use the liquid form of bnm mainly because we found bear would loose his hair with any spot on treatment so far so good

6. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i didn`t know you used BNM too haha have you noticed an improvement in coat condition? since switching jake from the chemical treatments i`ve found his coat is like silk to touch plus no more pesky flaky bits and scratching!

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We have used the dried herb for 12months or so now but I think I saw the liquid one on your pics so ordered that instead last month it's slot better IMO!

I love Csj herbs I always look there first for anything lol hate using chemicals on the boys

8. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

My BNM tincture arrived this morning, will add it to her food later.

We've never flea treated Poppy at all before. Like McKenzie, she is a white dog and she's brushed every day so fleas and ticks easy to spot. She's never scratched or had a flea although did have one tick last year on her face.

I decided not to give any spot on since our cat had a reaction this year. Wont be giving the cat any more, she will have BNM too.

I wish I had noticed on their website the Four Seasons Natural Wormer as I would have ordered it at the same time and got everything for one delivery charge, there was an info leaflet in with my order and I think it's worth a try.

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Right it seems like I'm going to get some BNM! Thanks for all your opinions.

Those of you who go natural, what do you use for worming?

I just looked at the Advocate packet and it doesn't say it prevents Lungworm! Why did I think it did??? Lungworm is the very serious one isn't it? :eek:

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I don't tend to worm very often maybe every 5-6months they get raw carrots every day which are a natural de wormer

11. DirtyGertie

Have a look at the link I posted above McKenzie for the Four Seasons natural wormer, I'm going to give that a try.

Wow, I never knew that! Poppy loves raw carrot.

12. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i was sure advocate did prevent lunworm, in fact i`m positive it does :confused:

i have to admit for worming i use milbemax, not risking lungworm as i live in a high risk area. i think i`ll also do a week dosage once a year with panacur just to be extra careful, south wales is rife with it right now and often if they have it it doesn`t show till it`s too late :(

with the BNM tincture if you`re feeding dried food be careful, it just dropped to the bottom of the bowl with jake and he wouldn`t touch it the fly git he is :rolleyes: i break up a wheetabix and squirt the dose onto half a biscuit everyday for him that way it`s inside the biscuit but he can1`t taste it as he hates even the smell of it. oh yeah and if you get the tincture there`s nothing to measure it out with included so i found a spare syringe, knew they`d come in handy one day it`s just one of the ones you get with the kids bottles of nurofen but it`s great for giving precise measurements :)

#12 Leah84, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh yes the Advocate does lungworm :eek: I think I'm losing my mind!!!

Thanks for the hints about the BNM :)

14. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

I tried the herb form of Billy No Mates in Freddies food but he refused to eat it - it smells strongly.

I now just pop a garlic tablet in his food as well as using Advocate. Fingers crossed we have never had a flea or tick

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

They bottle does have a measuring bit they top side with the while lid, take it off and squeeze it fills that around and that's 10mls :) I plonked it on the dry food but they eat it the first time they kinda looked at me funny but they aren't fussed now I think they are used to the smell because of the dry herbs

16. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

yeah but 10mls is WAY too much! it`s only supposed to be 1ml per day per kg body weight so i need 2.5mls per day so the little measuring thing is useless plus it never fills to the same level everytime - the syringe is much more accurate as i don`t wanna be giving him too much

17. flyballcrazy

flyballcrazy PetForums Senior

Apple cider Vinegar is also good for repelling tick and fleas i put a cap full in their water bowl every day :)

Its also good for other things as well. BNM is great stuff i have used this in the passed as well.:)

18. DirtyGertie

Is that for Jake? Is Jake the pup in your photo sig? Only 2.5kg? Sorry if I'm getting mixed up if you have another pup - doesn't take much for me :lol:.

Poppy is a 10 month old bichon and weighs 5kg so she will need 5ml per day - we bought a 5ml oral dosing syringe from the chemist, 75p.

19. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

The website says 1ml per 10kg - if that's right shouldn't Poppy only be getting 1/2ml? Maybe that's not right....

20. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

yes true i do it by eye only coz we are used to those bottles lol because we use similar for the snakes :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice