Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biking with dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NicoleW, Apr 27, 2011.

1. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Is it safe to cycle with a dog that wears a headcollar?

2. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

I do. He run along at the side of me (so the lead is lose) in "heel" position.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

:eek: I'd never risk it - imagine if the dog stopped suddenly, he'd seriously injure himself in a headcollar. A harness should always be used for running with a bike.

4. Houseofpets

Houseofpets PetForums Member

We use one of these leads for the dog, but use it with a normal collar - mainly cos my Hubby says I'm a danger to every other road user, pedestrian, child and dog without both hands on the handle bars!!!

Next week he says my stabilisers can come off!! :tongue_smilie:

Dog Jogging Lead 222 Hands Free Waist Running Lead Leash

5. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

No, definately not, you should never bike with a dog wearing any type of collar, headcollar or otherwise, except for ID purposes, the lead shouldnt be attached to the collar

A good padded harness, and a line with a shock absorber

6. shoreset

my bad, i thought it said collar not headcollar :eek:
    He either goes on his collar at heel or on his harness and runs out at the front like this (although usually faster, just going slow so that i can take a video lol) and i normally go like this and just attach him to his collar when we go near water or else he'd pull me into it
    [​IMG]

7. Houseofpets

Where did you get the harness from shoreset, we have a padded one we use sometimes but she hates it so much and hides when we go to put it on her. Get her out and she adores the running with the bike but shame about the harness part :(

8. shoreset

I got it from snowpaws
    X-Back harness for sledding, mushing, scootering or cani-cross
    I got it with the canicross set because i run with him as well (well he does the running i do the getting dragged along behind him lol)

9. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

I'd put him in a helmet like I do with the kids. Having said that I'm not sure he could reach the pedals. Seriously. tho... which by the way I find very difficult to be... I assume you're going to be on the bike with lead in hand... I did this for the first time last week using a normal collar. I'd call it a "mild" success. Next time I think I'd be tempted to try the car harness. I wasn't totally comfortable... and if he was unpredictable enough on lead to need a head collar I think I might pass.

10. Houseofpets

I know just how you feel, my time for a 3 mile run wasn't great but the dog running (pulling) with me improved it by 6 mins - I'm only 5ft and run with my BC, it's great entertainment for the neighbourhood I can tell you! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for letting me know about the harness, am going to order one this evening, hopefully she will prefer that one.

11. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

Well, I was going to start jogging with him first to get him used to being in that position and not crossing paths infront of me.

As I've never cycled with a dog before I was just wondering what you'd use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice