UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hardly ever come across bad dog owner and only have small rare rants but no matter where i walk i always come across bad bikers !! They can be so rude at times and never say thank you for standing aside, they think they own the paths (and roads when your driving) and you should move for them.

Today a biker went straight into Mylo :mad: he came up from behind us and i saw him at the last second and tried calling Mylo away but the biker went straight into Mylo's back end, (Thankfully he's not injured and seemed okay). The biker didnt even bother stopping !! They should have bells or even shout ahead like another guy did today. I tried asking where his bell was but no point, he was to busy riding off with headphones in :angry:

I always stand to the side when bikes, horses and even families want to pass.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I've found this as well and if they don't thank you when we've stepped aside to let them pass I just shout after them 'Where's your manners then?'!!

Being an owner of two pooches, I also like to go for bike rides with my daughter (without my dogs) and I always make a point of thanking the considerate dog owners and so does my ten year old daughter - after all it doesn't cost anything! :)

I am pleased to hear Mylo was not injured.

Don't you wish you had a stick and shoved it in the bloke's bike wheel??!!:devil:

G

·
Goodness that`s awful hope Mr Mylo is okay x I mean a "I`m so sorry" would of been better than nothing :mad:

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I am a cyclist (roads only) and try to behave courteously as I do as a dog owner too. I am amazed at the amount of rude cyclists in the parks and on shared pathways by canals etc here - I try not to shout "You're welcome!!! :incazzato:" as rider after rider passes a nicely sat Kilo so that they can pass. One thanks me in the course of an hour or so IF I am lucky. Never mind the mountain bike and motocross riders in forests that I walk in sometimes where both are apparently strictly prohibited....but please don't tar us all with the same brush.

I've had some awful run ins with drivers and dogs whilst cycling too and have come to the conclusion that there are good and bad as with anything in life.

I do hope Mr M is OK and that karma catches up with the rider who hit him :incazzato:.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Some tw*t deliberately rode into Rupert. Then wanted me to pay for the buckled front wheel he ended up with! He got told where he could shove his front wheel. Rupert was fine but very wary of bikes for quite a while after that. Hope Mylo is okay.

I'm another who shouts things like "yeah, thank you!" when I step aside and don't even get acknowledged. Even if they just give me a nod that's fine. I do the same when I hold a door open for someone and they don't say thanks too, my mum hates going anywhere with me :eek:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Had this today at the res, the same person came around twice - She didn't say thank you, what worries me more is that she didn't slow down! You don't know if the dog is going to lunge for the bike, or if the owner has complete control of the dog. Makes me cringe to think of the consequences of when dogs step out last minute in an attempt to 'catch the bike' :nonod:

SJ

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I am a cyclist (roads only) and try to behave courteously as I do as a dog owner too. I am amazed at the amount of rude cyclists in the parks and on shared pathways by canals etc here - I try not to shout "You're welcome!!! :incazzato:" as rider after rider passes a nicely sat Kilo so that they can pass. One thanks me in the course of an hour or so IF I am lucky. Never mind the mountain bike and motocross riders in forests that I walk in sometimes where both are apparently strictly prohibited....but please don't tar us all with the same brush.

I've had some awful run ins with drivers and dogs whilst cycling too and have come to the conclusion that there are good and bad as with anything in life.
I do hope Mr M is OK and that karma catches up with the rider who hit him :incazzato:.
Obviously not dog owners then! Or if they are, goes straight over the top of their heads!
I compliment/thank owners on their dogs if they are sitting/standing next to their owners!

Very true!! :(

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When they do say thank you i say thank you back and even say thank you when they do sound a bell, but we didn't even get a sorry or a 'is he okay' he just got himself back on his bike and went off. You can't even hear them most the time coming behind you and this time it was just to late, but this guy had plenty of time to stop and Mylo wasn't being a nutter and charging over out of control he was passing my OH at the point of it happening.

Yeah Mr.Mylo is fine, bless him. He was abit shocked and look at the guy as if to say 'dude not cool'

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
When they do say thank you i say thank you back and even say thank you when they do sound a bell, but we didn't even get a sorry or a 'is he okay' he just got himself back on his bike and went off. You can't even hear them most the time coming behind you and this time it was just to late, but this guy had plenty of time to stop and Mylo wasn't being a nutter and charging over out of control he was passing my OH at the point of it happening.

Yeah Mr.Mylo is fine, bless him. He was abit shocked and look at the guy as if to say 'dude not cool'
This is where we slow down and talk more loudly than normal to alert dog owners to our approach. We also slow right down if the dog is 'lah, lah, lah, I'm not listening!'

:)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some tw*t deliberately rode into Rupert. Then wanted me to pay for the buckled front wheel he ended up with! He got told where he could shove his front wheel. Rupert was fine but very wary of bikes for quite a while after that. Hope Mylo is okay.

I'm another who shouts things like "yeah, thank you!" when I step aside and don't even get acknowledged. Even if they just give me a nod that's fine. I do the same when I hold a door open for someone and they don't say thanks too, my mum hates going anywhere with me :eek:
Jeez sounds like he hit Rupert hard :eek: i would of been the same.

I even had a little girl say thank you on her bike, why is it a child can do it but not a grown man! I used to be like that but know i see why people get p***ed off when others don't say thank you!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
That is a peeve of mine... of course they are not all like that, and my OH is a keen cyclist and is often on his bike... before he started working where he is now, he would cycle almost every day.

However, the number of inconsiderate ones is unbelievable. Twice I have nearly been hit by a bike on the pavement, once with Jake and once without. Neither time did the cyclist ring their bell to let me know they were whizzing up behind me, far too fast! There was another instance when Jake was nearly hit by a cyclist who came racing round a corner in the woods! It was the one and only time Jake has chased a bike barking... He then came running up to me for a reassuring cuddle. I think he got a real fright... I was fuming though because the guy could have seriously hurt someone if he hit a person going so fast around a corner like that :mad:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a peeve of mine... of course they are not all like that, and my OH is a keen cyclist and is often on his bike... before he started working where he is now, he would cycle almost every day.

However, the number of inconsiderate ones is unbelievable. Twice I have nearly been hit by a bike on the pavement, once with Jake and once without. Neither time did the cyclist ring their bell to let me know they were whizzing up behind me, far too fast! There was another instance when Jake was nearly hit by a cyclist who came racing round a corner in the woods! It was the one and only time Jake has chased a bike barking... He then came running up to me for a reassuring cuddle. I think he got a real fright... I was fuming though because the guy could have seriously hurt someone if he hit a person going so fast around a corner like that :mad:
No their not all bad, some are polite and give plenty of warning but it's those others that don't, it wouldn't of bothered me so much but the fact that he hit Mylo p***ed me off and he didn't even say sorry. Of course i'm very thankfull Mr.Mylo is all meat and most probs didn't feel a thing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
There are a lot of ignorant ****s in the world. And they are generally involved in all the same jobs and passtimes as nice people. Unfortunately.

Just think what a sad existance they must have if they are so lacking in empathy and consideration.

For the record most cyclist I meet round here are perfectly pleasant and say nice things about my well-behaved dogs. I was quite shocked the other day when two didn't even acknowledge us! :eek:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Aw poor Mylo! Hope he's ok, bless him!

We're pretty lucky round here in that most people acknowledge or thank us for putting Whisper to one side when they pass. :)

But some bike riders go far too fast on multi-user paths and seem to assume that they own the path....... which is dangerous for dogs and people. And hubby asked the other day - what happened to bikes having bells on? Mind you; tons of bike riders round here don't even bother to have lights and ride around the roads in the dark! :rolleyes:

Attenborough Nature Reserve on a Bank Holiday Monday was a bit of a nightmare in that respect - lots of fast bike riders oblivious to everyone else! We ended up using the small paths that the bike riders couldn't use!

Whisper and I saw a young-ish lad the other day - totally dressed in black - with a black hoody on (hood up!) - and being 6am it was still very, very dark and he was barely visible. Whisper and I on the other hand although being on the pavement (he was on the main road) were well lit up with flashing red LEDs and Whisper's bright white LED pendant too. I remarked loudly to Whisper that we were far more visible as he went past lol. He didn't seem to notice though!

There are ignorant people everywhere though unfortunately - as you can experience in the supermarket, in the street, behind the wheel of a car or on a footpath! I try to remember that most people are very nice, after all. x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.