Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biggest changes since you got your dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I got Bella just under 4 months. She is a rescue, having spent the first wees of her life on the side of the highways and closed in a farm barn with cats and another dog.

When I got her she really had huge trouble settling. Evenings were a nightmare. She wouldn't sleep and she would cry to be let out of my room so she could go outside and play. Now, as long as she gets her evening play session and toilet walk round the block, and her evening chew she very very happily sleeps in her couch in my room and is very happy to ahve a lie in if I'm having one.

Bella used to play a bit rough with my friend's cats, but now she is the gentlest dog in the world with them, giving them kisses. They love her and come up to her when we visit.

She would not walk on a lead but would freeze and refuse to move. Bella was always great off lead, but she walks very happily on the lead now, and is still great off lead.

There is one thing that changed about Bella and it's the only thing I am not too sure about. She would never ever stand up for herself. She always lay on her back when greeting dogs and would not move until they were done sniffing. Since she had her season, if male dogs sniff her behind for too long she does have a fuse and will let them know she's had enough. She is still the most playful dog in the world, but does not enjoy inappropriate male attention. I am happy she is confident enough to stand up for herself:), but I wonder if this is bordering aggresion sometimes.

2. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Aggression is biting. Anything less is communication.

Sounds like she's enjoying life. :)

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

No she's never bitten...but definitely communicated her feelings which are "GET OFF!"

4. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I agree with both above - all female animal animals (including humans!) respond to unwanted attention in the same way. It's not aggression! She actually sounds like quite a sweetie.

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Since she has turned a year, her little character seems to be developing and it's really entertaining.

For instance, she is treating the cats more like siblings. She takes her toys to them for them to play with. Sits in the garden beside them as tho she is part of their little world.

In the evening, she drags the hand towel I keep on top of her cage, into her cage with her, then comes over to me. Reminding me that she needs to have her raw bone. (I always put it on the towel in her cage).

One of our cats likes to sneak onto the worktop and lick lefotovers on the plates given half the chance. She gets really cross and barks at him so I know in a minute what is going on.

I guess in a nutshell, she is trying to communicate.

6. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

maisie has certianly become more outgoing and confident she has really come out of her shell. We got her at 6weeks which i didnt no at the time and she was a nervouse wreck. she still has her moments but shes turning into a little butterfly. she certainly has turned corners in her life and now runs to every dog to greet them aswell as humans instead of running away or being very frightend still have a long way to go though. noone said it would b easy and rome wasnt built in a day

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice