Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bigger cold water tank

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Simone88, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Simone88

Simone88 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I currently have a 30l cold water / temperate tank in my kitchen with 8 minnows in it. After doing a lot of research I realised that 30l is far too small for any sort of fish. Its a Biorb flow which looks pretty but is incredibly hard to clean and the pump is extremely noisy.
    I'd like to upgrade to a bigger tank and was wondering what sort of size you guys recommend. Ideally with a quiet filter , easy to clean.
    I love goldfish but I know they get too big and are very messy. What other fish will get along with my minnows?
    Many thanks for your help.

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi Simone,

I have a temperate tank. It has a heater set to 20 C, meaning that it only comes on on very cold days. This gives me a lot more stocking choice than true coldwater, which is basically only minnows and goldfish.

Some of the temperate fish that can live alongside minnows at around 20 C include gold barbs, zebra danios, variatus platys, peppered corys, bulldog plecos and Florida flagfish. All these can be kept in a 100L+ tank, which should be the minimum size for minnows anyway as they're active little fish and need space to swim. If you go larger there are more options, such as weather loach, rainbow shiners and rosy barbs.

magpie likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice