Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

big dog swallowed raw hide treat whole

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by philkewley, Jun 25, 2009.

1. philkewley

philkewley PetForums Newbie

hi, I'd appreciate any advice here. I have an Alsation/wolf cross. He's a rescue dog that proved too soppy for guard dog training I've had him for a year now and he's a great & loyal friend.

Last night I gave him a bacon flavour edible nylabone (wolf size) treat and he lay on the floor chomping & grinding on it, then complete silence! I searched everywhere, but the likelihood is he swallowed it. I don't think he had time to break lumps off it & probably just lost interest chewing & swallowed it whole,

I think if he'd have broken it, the pieces would have been sharp and could have caused damage. However, he hasn't passed anything so far today, he's had 2 light meals, a short spell on his agility course. He doesn't seem to have as much enthusiasm for the jumps & his energy is down a bit but that could caused by the heat.

He's eaten & drinking as normal, but I am concerned the treats causing a blockage, any advice please. Thanks Phil

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Id suggest a vet.

Unless he vomits it up, i wouldnt have thought it would pass safely through his system.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My dog swallowed a lolly stick whole, and the vet gave her an antibiotic jab and some liquid to help her digest it.

I would take your dog for a check. I dunno how digestible nylabones are, he may need some help.

x

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hopefully it will go through him if not take him up the vet, i would never give my dogs them as they would do the same thing i get really big raw beef marrow bones they are harder and less likely to try a swollow one of them whole and spend hours trying to get the marrow out. never give the cooked ones you get in the pet shops.

5. philkewley

thanks, I've missed the vets this evening. And because he's a wolf they prefer if I give them notice so I'll call first thing.
    He's not in distress and he's not 'straining'
    it was such a dumb thing for me to do though I only turned away for a minute (argh!!).
    When it cools down a bit outside I'll take him for another walk and hopefully we'll get a result :blushing:

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yeah hopefully that will work fingerscrossed for you

7. Wouldn't really expect him to pass it before tomorrow anyway, ! Keep an eye on him, if he shows any signs of discomfort you would need to ,call the vet as it could cause an obstruction.
    Hope he's OK - keep us updated.
    I personally do not like the hide chews

regards
    DT

8. philkewley

Thanks DT, I've gone right off them too!! I am starting a pet food business and I was testing it out on him before I add them to the catalogue (groan!) I probably won't be stocking any of those!

9. philkewley

Hi Carol, I love your website btw.
    I know there's been a lot of discussion about the wolf hybrids. And I am personally not a huge fan of any 'frankenstein' breeding, but since I took Wolfie in, I've grown so fond of him because of the wolf in him. (however much that is?) He's a gentle giant of a dog, who's far more intune with the nature around him than any other dog I've known. He see's & hears & smells stuff in the air that all my dogs just don't even notice. I've never seen a pure-bred wolf, I know I'd never want one as a pet, their instincts for freedom & the pack are so strong that other dogs don't know how to react. That's what I've found with Wolfie, he hasn't got an aggressive bone in his body, but other dogs react badly to him and if it ever came to blows...

He's asleep at my feet now while I am trying to work, close by are Billie my boxer dog, Bob the Old English Sheepdog, Spikey the Yorkie (Wolfies life partner, but no-ones got the heart to explain to either of them) and 4 cats all in one small office! It's a great way to live and our lives are definately enriched by the big hearted wolf. From time to time he forgets the difference between breeds and starts grooming which ever animal is closest! it could be a dog, a cat or even the house rabbit, he doesn't care he gives them a big wet slobbery wash and they bliss out totally :)

I am sure he'll be alright, we're going to the vets in the morning & hopefully there will be no problems. Apart from a severe telling off!!
    best wishes Phil

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

My Finn 20 wk old springer can down 1/2 of one unchewed, I thought he was leaving them around the house untill I saw him choke one down I now take it off him 1/2 way through and give it back the day after. Its not affected him in the least:) glutton :D

11. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

12. philkewley

Thanks 2Hounds, I've read the packet about 100 times without actually absorbing the correct info, your right all the ingredients look as if they'll break down naturally in the gut. He's absolutely nackered from all the walking tonight, so we'll have to wait and see what happens during morning walkies!!
    thanks again, Phil

13. philkewley

Happy to say, Wolfie is once again a regular doggie! Thanks for all your comments and suggestions Phil

14. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

hi, was it a nylabone or a hide bone? i think hide bones are bad especially for powerfull chewers, quite a few dogs have choked on hide-bones as the go soft and the dog tries to swallow the soft part of the bone but is unable as it gets stuck

nylabones are not so bad

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice