Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BIG Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gsd_mad, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

We are having a difficult time at the moment. We are in the process of selling our home, as we are struggling to make ends meet each month (just like many others I imagine :()
    We have decided we are going to go into rented accomodation once we've sold this place. I have been onto the council, who's waiting list we have been on since May 2006, but because we have brought our property, we haven't been priority (which is understandable) they have told us, that we will have to look at getting a private rent first, and they will then assess our band etc! I have contacted many agents in the area we are hoping to move to (Derby) and alot of them have told us, the landlord/lady won't except pets, specially with us having a large dog!
    I have been scouring the papers etc, and REALLY struggling to find anywhere that will allow Razor, I am at my wits end, what are we meant to do!!

Has anyone else ever had this problem? :confused1:

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I haven't had this problem.
    But our contract does say no pets and at the time we moved in we only had hamsters, but when we wanted a dog, we just rang our landlord and he said it's fine.

I hope you are able to find somewhere which allows pets.
    :)

3. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I know it can be difficult to rent with dogs especially :( smaller pets usually dont incur the same prejudice it seems.

Good luck!!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could you possibly find a foster home until you find somewhere permanent that will take dogs?

The average waiting time for a council house is 4 years. Ive been actively bidding for 2 years, and im in a higher band than most.

5. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Thats so true Angel. If we could go down the route of buying again, then we'd make that our only option, but we just can't afford to.
    Well we've got at least two months to hopefully find something, I don't want to leave it till last minute to find somewhere, but then again, can't afford to pay a mortgage and rent at the same time, its so hard!!

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

It might be worth putting an out out on Gumtree, vivastreet etc..

I know one person that did this and found his perfect home where his dog & cat were allowed ;)

7. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

as a landlord my self.... we normally say no pets.... but if alot of propertys are empty landlords quickly change there minds..... just call a few that have been empty for a while and say your really intrested BUT..... im sure they will fold!

8. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Never thought of this. But who would we have to contact? How long could Razor stay in Foster for? As we wouldn't know how long it will take for us to find somewhere :confused:

9. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Good idea Nicci, thanks :D

Yeah, this is something I could try. Thank you :)

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could try GSD rescue, they may know of people who would foster, even on a long term basis if you explain the situation.

11. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Thank you, will give them a try nearer the time, if we're still struggling for somewhere. :D

12. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

councils <<will>> take a pet.

Private, this is how we done it, now we have a 3 bedroom and it totally full up with pets :001_tt2:

Lookin local papers, Trade it, The loot ect..

Net: Gumtree, trade it, viva-street, ect.

Like someone has already said, have a look at the dates advertised, as many private landlord's my way are finding it hard keeping people in their homes.

Then after a few weeks just give them a call and explain that you have seen them advertising the property for a number of weeks and that it sounds like the perfect property, and then drop the dog into it.

Many landlords are way will take dogs, but they will add on an extra £100.00 per pet on the deposit.
    Should all be fine, upon leaving you will get that back...

Hope this help's.
    Princessx87

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Have a look at the website of Pet Friendly Rentals, there could be something there in your area. It's like a catalogue of houses for rent that will accept pets, you then go through a named agent or contact the landlord direct.
    I see you're in Nottingham. I'm currently renovating my mother's house at Wollaton near the park, with the intention of renting it out pet friendly. It still needs the building work finishing and decorating doing. Detached 3 bed (2 large, 1 small), kitchen diner, sitting room, bathroom with separate shower, new gch and double glazing, new kitchen. Enclosed rear garden and side garden, off street parking for 2 cars - looking for rent of around 670pcm when finished. I don't know when it can be finished exactly. I'm organising it under my power of attorney, but my mother is now very ill and could die any day, so I can't get down there and I don't know if I can proceed when she dies, or if I will have to put it on hold while waiting for probate.
    Could you be interested in this house?

#13 Burrowzig, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  14. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Thank you :)

Thank Burrowzig for the advice and offer of the property. We would have been interested, but are looking in the Derby area, as my husband works that way, and only really looking upto £625 pcm but again thanks very much for the offer :D

#14 Gsd_mad, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  15. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. If you find somewhere that you like, contact the landlord and explain. If you offer a bigger deposit, or sign something to say you will pay for any carpet cleaning, damages etc, which reasonable person would say no?

I have a flat I rent out and I would have no problem. However I am biased.....

16. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

How's the hunt going?

my mum and step-dad live near sheffield, i could talk them into looking after your dog until you find somewhere that will accept dogs!!

and actually one of my friends who lives in chesterfield who has a large collie cross may be willing to help! (let me know if you want me to ask!)

17. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we found our place through asking the shop below it who owned it, Look in shop windows and the local paper lots of family owned places will take pets now :)

Its a nightmare and when we looked lots of people would take the cats but not the snakes and then others would says yes to the snakes but no to the cats :rolleyes:

18. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Hi, many thanks for the offer. We are currently waiting for our house to sell, have just lowered the price to a stupid amount, :rolleyes:
    We're ok keeping Razor here at the mo, its just a nightmare trying to find a rented property that will except him, I just don't want this house to sell, and not find anywhere, trying not to think down that route yet though :thumbdown: and do hope it doesn't have to come to that!

I would just like to thank everyone who has replied to this, your advice and help is appreciated very much :)

19. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Just typical! I have been onto Gumtree to look at rental properties. There's a gorgeous one on there, in an area which isn't to bad, PETS WELCOME :D but guaranteed it will go before we get rid of this place :incazzato:

20. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I was an idiot when I got my dog. I didn't do my homework & I bought her whilst renting without getting consent (I knew that if I asked it would be a "f### off" as he wouldn't pay for a PHONE LINE). When it came to moving out, I wanted to go somewhere that would accept the dog. I found it exhausting trawling through websites & free ads - there was nothing as many said no CHILDREN (not that I have kids but that sounds horrifically opposed to the Human Rights Act). So I decided to post on Gumtree & ask for a landlord who was pet friendly in an area or areas I was interested in moving to. I think I got about five people within 48 hours emailing me some with dumps to offer me & one with a perfect home. As a result, I have a dog and cat with a kitten on the way next week. He's brilliant, sorted our broken appliance within a week. Very reasonable rent, gardening thrown in, small deposit - no problems. Cannot even think about ever going back to an agency again! I would really recommend advertising for a pet friendly landlord.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice