Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Big dilemma over Silver & Indie

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by samhx, Apr 13, 2011.


  1. samhx

    samhx PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey,

    Most of you know that we are waiting for 2 kittens to be ready to come home with us.

    They are both Moggys, and were an unexpected litter and the ''breeder'' was supposed to be getting the mother spayed after her first litter. This is now her second. The lady couldnt get rid of the first litter and ended up going to the pet shop :( so the second lot were ''free to good home''. Although to prevent this happening again we were going to suggest giving them money to get their cat spayed!

    Last week she asked me if I knew anyone who wanted a cat, when the kittens leave she wants the mother of the kittens to go to. I was really upset by this and the reason she gave imo isnt a good enough reason.

    We were supposed to get Silver and Indie at 8 weeks, which I know is still young but she has rang now and said she wants them to go at 6 weeks as there litter trained and eating properly now :( What do I do? Do we take them at 6 weeks or let her take them to the pet shop where they'll probably go at 6 and a half weeks to a family that may not give them as much love and care as we would?


    We have everything ready for them :(

    There 6 weeks old tomorrow....
     
  2. MaineCoonMommy

    MaineCoonMommy PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Messages:
    311
    Likes Received:
    4
    Is she giving the mother away for free?? I'd be a total sucker and take the kittens and mom.
     
  3. samhx

    samhx PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah there all free..... makes me think even more that they might just go to some horrible family that wont take proper care of them! Not sure if you'd seen my previous thread, we were only getting Silver at first and then changed our mind to get two of the 4 kittens, I would take them all if OH would let me :(
     
  4. GreyHare

    GreyHare Guest

    Could you offer to take them all and keep them together for a few more weeks, spay the Mum and then find a good home for Mum and the other two kittens.
     
  5. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    99
    It would be best for you to take mum temporarily, and all kittens, as 6 weeks is way too young. They will still be suckling poor things. Then you could spay her and rehome her.

    I'm sure you oh will appreciate you'll be more likely to get 2 well behaved healthy kittens as opposed to some wrenched from their mother too soon with all the issues that cone with.

    As far as I'm concerned, you're getting two of mums lovely kittens, the least you could do for them is give them the proper start, take mum for 6 weeks, spay and rehome.
     
  6. jill3

    jill3 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    6,820
    Likes Received:
    1,499
    People like her make me sick. She sounds like she has no feelings for her pets at all.

    Years ago when i was a kid we had kittens at 6 weeks old and they were fine.
    It would be better if they were 8 weeks old but the fact she might take them to the pet shop i would go and get them.
    The other thing is you could take on the mother cat too:D
    She would still be able to mother her kittens and that would be better for them.

    It might seem a lot 3 cats but we have 3 and they are not much trouble.
     
  7. MoggyBaby

    MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    Messages:
    23,958
    Likes Received:
    5,531
    What a horrible position to put you in. This woman is not nice (THAT is me being polite btw....!!) :mad:

    My first thought was the same as everyone else - can you take the mummy too, even if only for a short time? What age is the Mummy? Do you know?

    (Whisper: The secret here is to tell the OH that Mummy is only staying until all the kitties are ready to leave her BUT, by that time he'll be soooooo in love with her, he won't want to let her go & you get to keep her... ;) )
     
  8. samhx

    samhx PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    The other 2 kittens already have homes, one going tomorrow and one on Friday then it'll be just my 2 left.....

    Even if we did take the mother the other two are still left without there mam, plus there not going together, at least our two would have some company.


    Getting 2 lovely kitties is turning out to be a nightmare....
     
  9. Jenny1966

    Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    7,211
    Likes Received:
    2,992
    awwww you have waited for so long for these little babies. I would be tempted to do as others have said and take the mum and all the kittens .... though you obviously will have to be prepared to find homes for the ones you cant keep, something I would find very hard.

    On the plus side you will have a few weeks to convince your OH that of course he would like to keep them all!! :tongue_smilie:
     
  10. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    99
    If this is the case then you can't help those two cats but you CAN help yours. Take mum, if you can't do 6 weeks, do 5,4, even two if that's really all you can do. Every extra day is best for your kittens, and to be honest you are lucky to be in the position to gave the option of having mum
     
  11. IndysMamma

    IndysMamma PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2009
    Messages:
    4,398
    Likes Received:
    134
    I would take them all temporarily - a month isn't financially too terrible and you can find homes for mum in that period if OH is firmly 'I said two and I mean two'

    (that being said - I was allowed to keep Mabel on a 'ok she can live in the garage as a feral and you can feed her extras in winter, otherwise she's perfectly able to hunt and there's plenty of mice and birds living in there'... she lives in the house and is a lap cat now)

    I have to say I was supposed to have 1 pet cat... I have 4 and it really is very little work, they entertain themselves most of the time and the tray is scooped twice a day regardless - financially I just buy a 10 kilo bag of food and tins in lots of 24 and it works out at about £20-£25 per month for all 4 cats feeding Royal Canin/Classic

    When I had just Indy living indoors it still cost me that as bulk buying wasn't viable - the kibble went stale
     
  12. samhx

    samhx PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    She's about 2 years old she thinks...
     
  13. Jenny1966

    Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2011
    Messages:
    7,211
    Likes Received:
    2,992


    woops my post crossed with yours :)

    You will still get your 2 little babies, just not in the circumstances you would have liked xx
     
  14. MoggyBaby

    MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    Messages:
    23,958
    Likes Received:
    5,531
    It just feels like that just now hun because your plans have gone tits up. I got Merson at 6 weeks and he has turned out just fine. No we DON'T recommend this but I think the dilemma you're in leaves you with very little choice. As already said, at least your two will have each other. Could you offer to take all four kits, even if only for 3 weeks, & then let them go to their new forever homes? At least leaving mum at 9 weeks is better than leaving her at 6....

    I appreciate that this is a BIG ask so you should NOT feel bad if you are unable to do this. This was not your problem but this horrible woman is trying to make it that it is.....

    Do you know what age the mum is? She wouldn't happen to be fluffy would she???
     
  15. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    99
    I have known a lot of kittens leaving at 6 weeks with severe behavioural problems, plus I believe kitten immunity is lowest at six weeks. I do not agree witheven implying it's going to be fine, in many many cases it is not at all.

    There's an option to take mum. To be blunt, mum should be taken temporarily, there is no other option if the best interests of the kittens are at heart. I can't think if a good reason not to.
     
  16. LittleAlfie

    LittleAlfie PetForums Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    0
    When we got Charlie, he had been handed into the Pet Shop as whoever owned him had thrown him out at 7 weeks, under fed and in a total mess. It was only lucky coincidence that we happened to venture into the pet shop that day, and the owner offered him to us for free.

    We couldnt say no to him, the state he was in, and we had Alfie, so we knew at least there was some company for him.

    But he was all skin a bones and smaller than what we should have been due to the malnurioshment.

    If you can take the mother cat aswell, and just make it so the kittens still have the best start they can, i think that would be best, and then if you have to rehome the mother cat later, least the kittens are in the best position they can.

    Just a shame all 4 couldnt be helped together till they were ready
     
  17. samhx

    samhx PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    The other 2 owners likely havent been as considerate as we are as their already being picked up tomorrow and friday!

    The mums a black and white shorthaired cat, shes beautiful!

    I think im gna ring her and see if we can take our two and the mum atleast... even if we keep the mum just for a few weeks! We've had all night to think about it and I think thats the best thing we can do right now.....
     
  18. missye87

    missye87 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,599
    Likes Received:
    33
    I would agree. If I was in the same position, I would ask to take the mum and the other two kittens temporarily until they are ready to go to their new homes, I think kittens need to be with their mum for a few more weeks than six. I know there are odd occasions when this has happened and the kittens have turned out ok, but chances are the others wouldn't. I'd suggest it to her, and ask her to contact the other new parents as it's in the best interest of the kittens :(
    I wouldn't think twice about doing it! :)
     
  19. MoggyBaby

    MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2011
    Messages:
    23,958
    Likes Received:
    5,531
    Atta girl!!! :thumbup1: At least this way, you are giving your two munchkins the very best possible start. :D

    My OH has fallen in lurve with my neighbours cat who, although a moggy, has got definite Maine Coon qualities about him and OH has stated VERY firmly that IF we get a 3rd cat, he wants a long-haired, or very fluffy, girlie. That is why I was asking about her.

    However, that aside, I predict that you will end up keeping all three. :D Especially when see how little extra effort is required.... :D :D
     
  20. samhx

    samhx PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    219
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just got off the phone to her now.

    The people who are taking one of the kittens tomorrow is taking the mum too. Dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing!
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice