Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Big Cats In The UK

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by WoodyGSP, Jun 8, 2010.

1. WoodyGSP

WoodyGSP PetForums Senior

Has anyone ever seen a big cat wild in the UK?
    One was spotted just the other side of my MILs field last week:eek:

I completely believe they're here and probably a bit like the wild boar in that by the time we have solid evidence, they have mutiplied so much, they're here to stay.
    I really hope they ARE here to stay.

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I personally have not seen one.. But know plenty of people who say they have.. All farming folk or keen adventure dog walkers... Used to worry me a bit because one of the supposed sightings was near where I used to keep my horses on a moss..... This guy was adamant he had seen a large cat... Reckoned it was something to do with years ago when people got them as pets and then licensing happened or something... Please correct me if that is wrong.. x

3. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

There's one in one of our parks, has been spotted by quite a few people and by some of my friends.
    There was a story in our local paper about it a while ago.

4. WoodyGSP

You're right MOM. A lot were released in the 70's when the DWA act came in. They are now breeding as the big cats we see now won't all be the original ones. I'm not sure how long they live for,but cubs have been spotted too.
    I actually wonder if we have our own species of big cat now, as it wasn't just big black cats that were released, there were lynxs, etc too. All the recent sightings seem to be black cats, so either that is what did best in this country and the others died, or they have all mixed together to form a hybrid animal. Thats my theory anyway. And that would explain why when experts examine photographic evidence they sometimes say its not quite right, because they are comparing it to big cats such as leopards, pumas and lynxs.

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Was a big black cat spotted near us.... I always wonder if its just the lighting when they are spotted.. I can honestly say I don't really want to meet or see one.... Bloody scary thought.... I also agree on the interbred theory.... Reserves have proved it can be done.. like say with Lygers..(sp)...

6. Mollydoodle

Mollydoodle Banned

I seen 2 wen I was visiting rellies down in Hampshire and West Sussex. One was a cuple of years ago in a field and there were lots of peeple stopping there cars to look at it. the ova one was a few weeks ago on a landfill site in portsmouth.

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My father has seen some smaller big cats in the countryside near him. Def too large to be a regular cat and moving with a completely different gait.
    Dont know what that was but I expect smaller cats like Lynx, Servals, etc might have been kept then released too.:confused:

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

ive never seen a "big" cat in the uk other than zoo's but i have seen Scottish wildcats which was a real treat :thumbup:

9. rob158

rob158 PetForums VIP

my mum says shes seen one and a bus driver said he saw one as well.

10. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

There's been loads of sightings of a 'very large black cat' in the little village we used to live in. Farmers were losing livestock as well. Worse it was last spotted in the field right beside the school. It's not been seen for a few months though and there's a lot of countryside near there so it could be quite far away from there or still lurking about somewhere. Until someone gets a very clear picture/film of it and can prove where it was taken and when etc we'll never know.

Laura :)

11. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I have 14 years ago now mind you :D

Out on a hack with my friend and our 2 horses we came down a hill to the bottom and were about to head up the next side when my horse spooked sideways and neighed and got very aggitated. We looked to the left and there sat not 10 ft away from us was a large sandy coloured 'cat' about the size of a labrador but with cat feature-small pointed ears etc just sat there staring at us and we all froze in a 5 second confused state when it turned and ran into the hedgerow-it had a v long tail and vanished.
    On returning to the farm we spoke with the herdsman who mentioned they had lost 5 piglets in the past few weeks and a cow had been attacked. They had found large pawprints in the mud in the fields and swore it was a large cat.

We came home and told our parents and mum found a number in the paper of a man doing a study on large cats in the area and we took him out to where we saw and he said he was 99% sure we had seen a puma type cat.

Im glad I was on my horse and not walking lol when we came across that! :eek6:

A year after that whilst walking up the driveway of Loseley house we saw a darker but similar cat like body running across the field next to us and it looked HUGE! boy did we run to the house lol!!

12. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

I really do believe there are big cats out there and I love hearing stories from people who have seen them.

Years ago there were some sightings of big cats near Hough on the Hill and Carlton Scroop in Lincolnshire and I lived not far from there at the time. it was really exciting and although I spent lots of time looking, sadly I didn't see one :(

13. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Yes we have a vast expance of forestry near us and its called Afan Argoed. Theres supposed to be a Cougar/mountain lion in there living on the deer from margam park. A jogger reckonned it followed him along a path!!! Its called the beast of Tonmawr :lol: As Barb says in the Royale Family," Beast My A**se'. :D

14. WoodyGSP

15. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I believe it. A few years ago my town had a series of sightings of a lynx in the area. Another time the guy at the wildlife rescue centre found scratch marks on a shed.

I was once out for a walk with my sister who was riding and she decided to canter off - I was left in the middle of the woods and I got so scared, lol, every big cat story I'd ever heard came to me. I couldn't get out of there quick enough!

16. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Last year I was walking Henrick when I swear I saw a large black/dark brown cat (like a large labrador size) in the bushes about 50yds in front of us, it was half behind a bush and Henrick went tearing into the bush ignoring me calling him, it ran and he came back, I didnt dare go back there for ages afterwards, then I plucked up courage to tell my oh who spent the next few weeks taking the pi$$ out of me, so I will just say, no I have never seen a big cat in the UK;).

17. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

18. WoodyGSP

I'd love to know how many there really are in this country. I read somewhere some expert reckens there's about 70, but I think there's likely to be more than that as a lot of people don't report sightings and many will go unseen. I also wonder what happens to dead ones? I think there's a bit of a cover up going on so not to cause panic;)

I'm not actually worried that I might meet a big cat (I probably should be). My FIL said he's not going to walk back from the pub anymore but I haven't heard of anyone being attacked yet. They tend to go for smaller prey- muntjac deer being ideal. They do seem to be getting bolder though, there seems to be a lot more close sightings lately.

19. borderer

borderer Guest

i think there is big cats i was near wheatly hill using night sights i seen what looked like a big cat the way it moved like only a cat can

20. WoodyGSP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice