Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Big bully cat!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by mandandruby, May 8, 2010.

1. mandandruby

mandandruby PetForums Junior

Hi please can anyone help. I have two cats, a boy and a girl. The boy cat has always been the dominant one and the girl is much quieter and much easier work!!

The boy cat has recently started bullying the girl, he pounces on her and bites her and the other day was wandering happily around the house with bits of her fur hanging out of his mouth! We have just moved house and i guess he's just showing her who's boss, but she's obviously intimidated by him. A lot of the time they happily sit side by side, and are normal with each other though so it's not like that all the time. We do always scold him, and he knows as soon as he does it and i go to him that he's in trouble. Just want to know if me telling him off, putting him outside and putting him out of the room is actually making the situation worse??

He's a very affectionate and loving cat so its not like him to really be like this!!

Help!! thanks x

2. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi, I'd leave them to fight and only stop it if you feel it's getting too serious, only then intervene and only stop the fighting. I wouldn't separate them, they will learn where the limit is. Moving house (as you've said) is probably the cause and things should start to settle down soon.
    Also, Feliway might help. Just Google it if your not sure what it is :)

3. jomary-austin

jomary-austin PetForums Junior

Is he getting bullied by another cat outside? Sometimes that makes them pick on weaker cats.

Cats usually sort things out eventually. My poor old lady cat Holly got chased about & ambushed by our youngish boy cat for several months when we first got him (he is neutered) but when I watched them carefully he was barely touching her and only playing, sometimes fluff came out but she wasn't getting any injury, he was just being boisterous. She tended to over-react and start running every time she saw him which only made him worse as he thought she was playing.

One thing I stopped doing was making a fuss of her after she got beat up as she then caught on to the fact that if she did her "persecuted cat" look she'd get a cuddle! Also, best try not to tell him off as in my experience they just don't seem to respond to reprimands and it can make things worse, it's a cat thing.

Feliway can help, I used the spray on Holly's cushion and she did seem to chill out and stop running off, I also used a rescue remedy, I think it was walnut on her, just applied to the back of her ear. Apparently that helps "doormat" or "victim" personalities. I don't know if it helped specifically but she did become more assertive.

Check that she's not getting hurt. If her skin is unmarked he's only playing but if he's hurting her than you may need to intervene. As the other poster said, it is probably due to the move, be very reassuring with them both and he will soon settle I expect once things smell more like him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice