Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bichon Owners.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jazzy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Just wondering how you found Bichons for housetraining. I've read quite a few times that they are one of the worst breeds of dogs for housetraining and I was a bit scared of getting another bichon because of this reason but we took the plunge and so far she's doing really well. We haven't had any accidents for about 3 or 4 days now and she has started asking to go in the garden.

My oldest Bichon was 8 months old before he was fully housetrained although he's exceptionally clean now and will never do anything in the house - if he needs to go out in the night which isn't often, he will let me know.

I was talking to a lady last week and she said she loves bichons and used to have one but never managed to get her housetrained at all.:eek:

2. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I think to be honest it is all in how you train them, putting in the time and effort as with any dog,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,bichons as you know are very clever and needy so may use that as a leverage lol. For example, a puppy from my dogs first litter was not doing well in the toilet training department at his new home, they did the things they thought was the way to go, letting him have one room to get used to and trying to get him to go outside etc, well he refused to go while out walking and peed everywhere in the small area. How did the problem stop, he escaped out of his small enclosure one day while they were out and came home to find him happily sitting on the sofa and not a toilet accident in site! So from that moment pup had the run of the house and problem stopped overnight!

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes that happened with our Bichon too. He was clean at 8 months but at 12 months started suffering from seperation anxiety. I used to have to take my daughter to the infant school and I had to take her in the school so couldn't take him and I used to put him in the kitchen with the baby gate closed but the kitchen door which leads into the living room open so he didn't feel trapped. I only left him for around 25 minutes but as soon as I came back there was wee and poo everywhere. I finally solved the problem by trusting him and letting him have the run of the house when we have to leave him although he's not left much at all as there is usually my teenagers in if I'm out. He sits on the back of the chair looking through the window and although he doesn't like being left behind, he puts up with it and doesn't get stressed now. He used to just keep jumping up at the gate and really stressed himself out. He would get all wet around his mouth too.

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I tend to keep my dogs downstairs (i live in a townhouse) My living room is upstairs but i rarely use it myself, im down there doing the usual household stuff 24/7 anyhow lol, they have the run of the downstairs and straight out into the garden which is great and alot easier to toilet train the puppies too. I even got a little tv to keep dogs entertained when i need to pop to shops lol, oh ok i watch the soaps on it in the day too lol. On the rare occasion i am upstairs we take a couple of dogs/pups up for cuddle time , then rotate so they dont feel left out. They have escaped a few times up to the upper part of the house but the pups couldnt get down lol, took ages to pick them all up and get them down again lol! The annoying thing is when the big dogs escape from downstairs the mum immediatly goes into the bathroom on the top floor and locks herself in :eek: then scratches to get out but cant, she doesnt seem to learn though and repeats it when ever she gets out! The boy usually doesnt go to far and is the first to alert me to any naughty goings on, he is the tell tale lol, if the dogs have ever escaped the garden he stays behind and yap and yaps to tell me lol! Id love to live in a bungalow so the dogs could go where ever they want but m sure id still be getting her out of the bathroom everyday lol! As you can imagine, having three floors and my bad legs, roaming dogs is not an option unless i had them on bungee rope lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice