Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bichon Frises

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kayz, Jun 28, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We have decided to get a Bichon Frise!! Not for a while but doing lots of research.

We have spoken to a few friends that all have dogs and all they will say is "But they bark all the time and are vicious with children" So my hubby is feeling a bit dubious now about getting one.

So anyone with experience of these breeds come and tell us what you think about the barking and the children problem.

Thank you:)

2. Camsie84

Camsie84 PetForums Member

While all dogs are different, a colleague of mine has one, she's very grumpy, not affectionate, and as she's getting older, is very ill. Wouldn't be my choice.

I grew up with a Lhasa Apso - same sort of size, she was heavenly, and loved children - very placid nature

3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I'm not usually a lover of small breeds, I was reared with Toy Poodles which were really good family companions.

A couple of my friends own Shih Tzu's who I've found to be delightful little dogs, really impressed with them, really do like them :)

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

lol pmsl, i had to laugh at the being vicious with children lol sorry, we got our first one when my daughter was two, never was a problem at all, i have three adult bichons, at the mo four puppy bichons too, the puppies give the odd nip because of teething but thats it. As for being yappy, they can be but they can be trained not to be, i let mine yap when someone knocks as im a bit deaf anyway and i never hear people knock on the door, they only yap a little bit when the postman comes cos they know what time he knocks lol. Also strange noises, visitors to other peoples gardens can be a problem as they want to yap at them to let you know that new people are about but as i say its all in the training, get the training in and you wont have a problem, i find it is more of a problem when you have more than one as they tend to egg each other on lol. I must say with all these bichons i have i have actually only heard my rescue bichon yap today as neighbours had a barbeque with new peeps, we just say his name and he stops , thats it.

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

My daughter was three when we first got our Bichon and she is eight now. He's always been wonderful with her and is very very tolerant of children and other dogs. He hasn't got a viscious bone in his body. I take him to school twice a day and the kids stroke him and pat him and he's absolutely 100% with them.

He isn't yappy either and barks no more than any other dog. He never ever barks when out on walks even if other dogs do.

6. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your opinions, we don't really like Shih Tzu's. Very cute dogs but their really long coat puts us off.

With the barking I was expecting them to bark at people at the door and strange noises. But on a website I looked at yesterday it said their tendency to bark was low and compatabilty with children high. So either people I talk to don't like them or are just being silly.

7. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I have had Bichons for over 20 years and have not had a problem with them with children at all . Mine bark when someone comes to the door like any dog would thats about it
    I now have 3 rescue Bichons and they are all good with children
    The only thing I notice is they are a bit harder to train toilet wise unless you are there all day with them from, pups.The need to be brushed each day and groomers every 6 weeks too
    I have rescued and re homed many Bichons over the years and not seen a nasty one yet, nervous ones yes but never nasty Hope this helps

8. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

There is one that lives down the road from us and he'd yap all day if he was allowed. The owner says he isn't well socialized and admitted that was their fault and that he is hard work and demanding, again their fault.

Every other Bichon I've met out on walks have been lovely and well behaved.

9. dallylover

dallylover PetForums Junior

omg i can't believe someone would tell you that they are vicious with kids this could not be anymore untrue, my mum bought her 1st bichon when i was only 9 (now 32 ! ) she was lovely and would always let me play with her very tolerant of my excitable behaviour :D & a very happy little dog - well that was the 1st my mum now has 5 together ranging from 7 yrs down to 7 weeks as she now breeds them aswell and has past litter members back to stay all the time- i bought my own bichon when i was 18 holly, i have owned 4 myself including the have one now, i have known 13 bichons very well either my mums or my own and i can def' say that they are no less than brilliant with children - i myself have 4 kids ranging from 10 down to 2. They are a very affectionate, happy and playful breed thoughout the whole of there lives i have never known a grumpy one & not barky in fact my bichon now millie never barks except for the odd bark at the doorbell ringing it is my cocker spaniel that barks at every little thing ! my mums 5 are neither barky or yappy and as someone else said you can teach your dog that excessive barking is not acceptable if you have ANY dog that is prone to barking ;)

sorry that was a bit long winded but just wanted to explain it well :D

10. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone.

I think you have reassured my hubby that they aren't vicious, yappy dogs!! YAY!!!

11. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I take it you will be getting a Bichon then :yesnod:

12. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

We were going to get a bichon frise before we got a cavalier king charles, there sapposed to be hard to toilet train, as u said there tendancy to bark is low. i dont have one put when we were going to get one we did ALOT of research! they are very good with children also! the only reason we didnt get one is because we live in the country and it would have to have baths every minute to keep clean!! there not nice unless there really white imo!
    cassie our ckcs was hard to train too and it didnt say that about cavaliers when we were researching so i sappose all dogs are different just like children! lol:) best of luck !!;)

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes that is the downside of Bichons - they only come in white.:laugh:

14. Cavalierlover123

how do ye keep them looking so beautifull??:eek:

15. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Well if he gets too dirty I just bath him although he absolutely detests baths. He goes to the groomers about every 8 weeks or so.

16. Cavalierlover123

I dont know how cassie stays so white!:eek: well then again she doesnt really roll in mud so its understandable!!:) i feel so sorry for pippa as shes black, in the hot days cassie lies in the sun but pippa lies in the shade, poor little thing, brought them to the park yesterday and poor pippa was panting in the car on the way home :(but cassie was fine!! bichons are lucky in that way as there white!!:)

17. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

What does it mean when breeders put 'no staining'?

Also I have read they only need 20 minute walks so should we limit the walks to 20 minutes?

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Bichons are prone to tear staining around their eyes, some are worse than others. My five year old Bichon doesn't really get tear staining but I know quite a few Bichons do. I have heard it can be related to diet but not sure if this is true.

Bichons don't need a lot of exercise like say a Border Collie or GSD for example but they do seem to enjoy their walks and can walk quite a lot further than a 20 minute walk.:) I'm out over an hour sometimes at morning with him although some of that time can be chatting with other dog owners.:blushing: I also take him round to school at 3.15 and then he has a ten minute night time walk about 10.30 with my other half.

19. bichonsrus

I agree that bichons dont necessarly require alot of excersise but they do enjoy it. I take mine on a ten min walk up to the field, usually deserted if im lucky, then they are off their leads and they run and run and run, they love it! The eldest one stays close to me at first then runs a little then keeps checking back to make sure im ok, bless her, the boy runs around and around in large circles around me as i walk lol he is a nutter, and the youngest girl waits till he get near her then she pounces on him lol its funny to watch!!! And all bichon owners must remember that if you dont excersise your bichon as much as they would like , then you will get their mad half hour where they run up and down through the house until they cant run any more lol.

20. bichonsrus

As for cleanliness i find im washing the pups at least twice a week at the mo, well i cant have people come round to find an off white pup to look at buying lol but my adult bichons are very good at keeping clean, i can usually get away with leaving it until they need their trim unless its winter and they been on the fiels running, i know you can brush most of the mud off once dry but as i tend to keep their coats longer in winter you find the underside of them gets pretty mucky!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice