Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bichon Frise

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jeff71, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Jeff71

Jeff71 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We’re adopting a 9 year Bichon Frise Cross (90% Bichon we’re told)

First Dog in 12 years due to family circumstances.

Can anyone offer ANY info/tips/tricks about anything to help us hit the ground running and give our little chap the best possible start with us.

Thanks

kimthecat likes this.
  2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

For the best advice that's tailored to your individual dog and home, we will need you to share some information on the dog's history and where you're homing them from. These details are much more important than the exact percentage of breed in his genetics, as advice suitable for one dog and his life so far may be the complete opposite of what's appropriate for another.

3. Jeff71

Jeff71 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

What info would be of help, to get some advice from the forum members ?

Thanks

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Maybe start with the ones I already asked - where you're homing from? I.e. is the dog from a domestic rescue, a private rehome, an ex-puppy-farm rescue, from a breeder etc.? And what you know of their history/ why they're being rehomed?

Puppies are relatively simple and advice can be more standardised, but with adult dogs they've had a life and experiences which have shaped them before they come to live with you.

JoanneF and Sarah H like this.
  5. Jeff71

Jeff71 PetForums Newbie

He’s from a domestic rescue (one of the bigger ones) we have his medical history, nothing except a couple of teeth out and a scale and Polish. All up to date with jabs and vet checked (teeth being checked again next week)

Re-home due to change in family circumstances

He sounds like a well behaved family dog.

Walks well

On Burgess dry food

kimthecat likes this.
  6. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

I’ll leave the advice to Torin, just wanted to say well done on rescuing an older dog :)

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

My sighthound Jack came from rescue.

I kept everything calm and low key when he first came home and let him have a look round and settle, showed him his food and water, and out to the garden for a wee etc.

At first he lay in the hall alone but after 20 minutes he came in the lounge, climbed on the sofa and went to sleep :)

First night I thought he’d be best in the kitchen in case of accidents but he had other ideas and settled on the floor next to my bed and slept right through to 0830 the next morning. Rescue is noisy and exhausting I think.

Quiet walks at first to let them get used to the new surroundings and avoid too much interaction with dogs and people so they don’t feel overwhelmed and you can assess them a little.

Give the dog a quiet corner to settle in their bed, and don’t disturb them when resting or sleeping ... better to call them to you if need be. Leave them alone to eat too.

Lots of toilet trips to the garden (much like pup training) at first as house training can take a step back with the big change, with praise or treat immediately for outside success.

Ignore any accidents ... clean up with warm biological solution, well rinsed and dried.

Good luck ... I’m sure he’ll be happy to be in a home environment again :)

kimthecat, karenmc and Nicola234 like this.
  8. Jeff71

Jeff71 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Anyone else got any Bichon advise / tips ?

Thanks

9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Well done for adopting. They're charming little dogs. keep and eye on their coat . They dont shed but need to be brushed and also clipped.

10. beardie

beardie PetForums Newbie

You need a decent comb, the andis steel one is good and a soft slicker brush, I use the Arterto Double Flexible Slicker. Do a little bit of grooming each day. They can be a bit noisy so try and avoid it becoming an issue but restricting access to windows overlooking the road etc. They are real attention-seeking show offs (albeit rescues can take time to ome out of their shells) which means they are pretty easy to train with positive rewards. Have fun, I first met one 40 years ago and fell in love with their cheeky character and can't imagine life without them now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice