Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beware of Internet Scammers

Discussion in 'Cat Classifieds' started by petforum, Nov 5, 2007.

1. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello,

Just a note to make people aware that there are internet scammers out there who pretend to have pets for sale but dont actually have any. They will ask you to pay probably by 'Western Union' or some other internet method and you will never see your money again or the pet you thought you would.

Please do all the necessary checks to make sure they are genuine. i.e. get their landline telephone number and speak to them that way, and make sure you go and visit the pups or dog at their home.

If you think any post on 'Pet Forums' is created by a scammer, please let me know ASAP so that I can ban the user from this site to make it a safer place to be.

Thanks
    Mark
    Forum Administrator

Erkan Gazi and Lovescats like this.
  2. would like to mention , i had a scammer aproach me trying to find out bank details address full name etc ................ his name was richie jones and i reported him to pets4homes ............... be careful people

Lovescats likes this.
  3. mattyh

mattyh Banned

Another good way of checking to see if someone is genuine... Get them to take a photo of the animal with something like todays paper, or (as we use on another website) a tin of custard :D.

If they can't/won't they're one of two things: lazy, in which case do you want to buy an animal from them, or, they're a scammer and can't, because they don't have the animal to do it.

The internet is a dangerous place, if you don't protect yourself :)

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  4. Selk67U2

Selk67U2 PetForums VIP

Yea, Matty, you got that right.:(
    I've had a fair few scammers lately for my kittens, they get on your wick!! I've had 3 from the same person in 1 day!!
    melbethxo@ hotmail.co.uk this is who it is:mad::mad:

5. rottiesloveragdolls

there a few coming on here trying to scam us into buying stupid stuff thats nothing to do with pets at all! :eek:

6. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

I've had them before when I've had kittens for sale. They usually say something along the lines of.................'what is its present condition and your best price' :eek: One time I thought I would call their bluff and emailed back saying the kitten was £3000 lol, and would you believe the cheeky sod came back to me saying they wanted the kitten and could they have my bank details to do a money transfer :eek::eek::eek:

Temporally_Loopy likes this.
  7. Selk67U2

Selk67U2 PetForums VIP

OMG!!! Hahaha, they must think we are soooooo stupid:confused:

8. mattyh

mattyh Banned

The spam stuff is all automated, it's not actually people doing it, just computer programs, they find forums on google, and just automatically fill out registrations and post the crap you see.

WRT to the payment scams etc, like the one Chrissy mentioned... What they usually do is send you the amount, plus extra, you're then to forward the extra on to another person for them, then the whole transfer gets cancelled and you get left out of pocket.

I.e. You sell scammer something for £1000, they send you £1500 and instructions to send on the £500 to Mr X. You do this, then the whole lot gets recalled by the scammers bank* and you're £500 out of pocket.

*It's not actually the scammers bank, usually some poor soul who's been scammed of their details, so it's not really the banks fault

9. Selk67U2

Selk67U2 PetForums VIP

Oh, rt, well I did'nt realise that Thanks Matty
    I know recently there was an awareness thing put out to breeders that some people from Africa were trying to scam, by pretending they were from England, but you could tell by the spellings ect that they were'nt:mad::mad:

10. cav

cav PetForums VIP

year matty to the rescue.................:D;)

11. purpot

purpot PetForums Junior

im a persian breeder and luckly i have had thoses sort of people , touch wood i never have them ,
    :tongue:

12. joote

joote PetForums VIP

Oh i think they're so funny when i was looking for flats i had all kinds of offeres free broadband free bills and sky tv!!! i just role with it and take the mic big time

There is this guy who actually sets out to set these people up and make them look like idiots!! I've seen him go as far as making them get tattoos on thier faces to show they really want something, ect there were pictures and everything!

Thanks for the advice, i just cant believe there are still people falling for it!

13. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Gumtree!!! Oh gumtree!!!

I got scammed very hard, and learnt the very hard way. I was buying for my mum as for many years she has wanted a pug or chi!

Well all we got was massive phone bill, Loss of alot of cash, and alot of heart break..........! I have now spent over 5 months trying to inform many people of the scamming thats going on with gumtree, and had loads of good replies!

Just please be aware...........................!:mad::mad::mad:

14. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Scammer alert - benson.clark40@yahoo.com

"I have a client in Europe who we make out the payment to you on my behalf...

He will make out a Banker's Draft Check in a Europe Bank and send to you. The amount on the Banker's Draft Check will be £1,900 ,that will cover the shipping and you will deduct your money which is £800 Therefore, when you receive the Banker's Draft Check you will take it to your bank and cash it, you will deduct your money and assist me in sending the balance of the money to my Shipping company that will pick-up and ship it to me."

As if! :mad:

#14 bimbleweb, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  15. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

we have just been scammed on the internet regarding a holiday,:mad: so it isnt just pets, :mad: at the time it seems so genuine, but after you feel like such a fool,:eek: :(

16. Purrrrfect

Purrrrfect PetForums VIP

My hubby was nearly caurght out when he replyed to an add for a Labrador. It was supposed to be free to good home. So he emailed back and forth about it and even spoke on the phone. They started asking questions that was nothing to do with the dog or where the dog was going. They eventually asked hubby to deposit £300 into thier paypal and this is where hubby ended the emails etc.

17. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

Think I had one of these the other day, Saying he wanted to buy a kitten. He has emailed me 3 times in 3 days saying he now ready to pay ...must think im daft an unseen 2 week old kitten!!!

told him he couldnt have one unless he came to see me and paid cash, think that might of seen him off eh:thumbup:

just for reference he called himself Ben Tinker

18. Imp12

Imp12 PetForums Newbie

Just for the fun of it. I do Scam baiting as a hobby. If you ever come across someone that is obviously scamming please inbox me the details :D i'm always up for fun!

19. lyppyl

lyppyl PetForums Newbie

I have been looking for a cat and replied to several advertisements on kittensforadoption.co.uk. All the replies I received so far have been asking me to pay for the shipment of the kittens (from far away places despite the cats being advertised locally). All of these are scams. I don't believe there is one single genuine add on this website so BEWARE!
    Patricia

20. lyppyl

lyppyl PetForums Newbie

One of the replies I received was amazing:
    The kitten's owner was called Mr Chama Fox, the kittens live in the far north of Scotland, I had to pay for their shipment and send the payment to someone in Cameroon, the shipping company was supposedly based in the USA!
    Another one was the kittens were in Paris and the owner's wife was very ill and how terrible their situation was and could I pay £300 for the kittens shipment. ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice