Beware Of Internet Scammers

Discussion in 'Dog Classifieds' started by petforum, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Hi everyone
    I am afraid i am one of the gullible ones I was done for £500 pounds by some very clever scammers.Although in my defense they were very very clever I answered an add for pug puppies also went to an address to view the puppies saw them at 5 weeks put a deposit of half the asking price which was the £500 pounds and was told to go back and collect in 3 weeks on a given date when they would be ready and vet checked for collection when I returned to collect my puppy the house I had been to was empty and according to neighbours had been for the past 3 months and the police could do nothing

2. Prowl

Prowl Guest

pft
    if someone wanted £500 up front I would know intently something was fishy.

My dog cost £700

We paid a deposit of £50

NEVER answer adds it should be illegal to sell or buy puppies on websites or in newspapers. Buying from a free site you can almost garantee most of those adds are probably fish.

3. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

Wow im so sorry you were scammed that way.

Not all breeders who ask for a large deposit are bad.. we have paid a £400 deposit for our new puppy.

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Member

There is only one way to reliably buy a decent pedigree puppy. Contact the Kennel Club and ask for contact details for the breed club secretary of the breed you want. This person should be able to give you a list of breeders, then you network.
    A breeders licence is no guarantee of a healthy, carefully bred puppy or a caring breeder. A breeders licence is granted by the local council on payment of a fee; all puppy farms will have a breeders licence, or they wouldn't be able to trade.
    With regard to price, unless you're lucky, you get what you pay for, although many of the breeders accessible via the KC may have puppys not of 'show quality', maybe mis-marked or likely to be too big/small to show, and these may be reduced a bit to go to a pet home. Sometimes there are also older puppies available who have been kept to 'run on' but haven't turned out as expected.
    Anybody who offers to post you a puppy isn't a reputable breeder and is probably in it for the money....nobody who really cared for their puppies' welfare would let one go to an unseen person. A good breeder will want to be certain that her puppy is going to a loving, knowledgeable, forever home.
    Otherwise, rather than look for a cheap internet puppy, lower your sights little bit....I would love a Porsche, but will never have one. If I see one on the internet at a fraction of the market price, I'll know it's too good to be true.

#104 Linda Weasel, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. pathill500

pathill500 PetForums Newbie

I have learned of many people buying dodgy pups on line and now of this so called African connection which is a total scam..Need to be very wary when using the internet to buy an animal..Friend of mine got scammed and used this to report it www.stoppuppytraders.com and got a phone call almost instantly...lets hope they get them..

6. bonifaciop

bonifaciop PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the information, it's a phising procedure, I know it.

7. MAGNUSTHECORSO

MAGNUSTHECORSO PetForums Junior

There are a great number of these people on kijiji the ads are easy to spot. But yes definately don't put your heart before your head. Good advice never to send money.

8. pugpeiworld

pugpeiworld PetForums Newbie

its not just scammers im at the min taking a woman to court as a friend i gave her 2 of my pedigree pugs on breeders contract .. big misstake as the first litter was born from my black bitch 7 weeks ago she decided they were her dogs without for filling the contract ive now had to pay 455 to take her to court to get my dogs back .. she has slabdered my good name all over social media and sold my puppies with false papers ... if your buying a pyg from the bolton area please be careful of a lady called sharon reily .. or laisby .. shes vile has stole 5 peoples dogs that i know of .. prob more

9. pugloverlynne

pugloverlynne PetForums Newbie

Hi Mark

I have contacted admin as I believe I was involved in a recent attempt to scam me.

10. alexierm

alexierm PetForums Newbie

Yes, I nearly got caught out with this...I was totally stupid esp as I'm tech savvy and dog savvy...it's so easy to get caught up in the story. I've told everyone I know to be aware now!