Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beware Of Internet Scammers

Discussion in 'Dog Classifieds' started by petforum, Nov 4, 2007.

1. petforum

petforum Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello,

Just a note to make people aware that there are internet scammers out there who pretend to have pets for sale but dont actually have any. They will ask you to pay probably by 'Western Union' or some other internet method and you will never see your money again or the pet you thought you would.

Please do all the necessary checks to make sure they are genuine. i.e. get their landline telephone number and speak to them that way, and make sure you go and visit the pups or dog at their home. NEVER send any money before you visit the pups or dogs.

If you think any post on 'Pet Forums' is created by a scammer, please let me know ASAP so that I can ban the user from this site to make it a safer place to be.

Thanks
    Mark
    Forum Administrator

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yeah i have a few people over the years try that and the other thing is
    i can send you a cheque but is always for a larger amount and you send me back the money left after your expensive's

had a few of those when i was selling my car

Emma King and (deleted member) like this.
  3. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Scammers are clever & are always willing to try new ways / methods of conning the gullable out of their hard earned money.

I have had had many scam emails of various sorts in response to wanted & sale ads.

I have never been gullable enough to fall for any of them & i hope none of you genuine people out there do either...

My advise to you is:
    If in doubt delete the email, dont waste your time replying.
    If the person is genuine they will be intouch by phone & or leave you genuine contact details.

If you are selling, unless you know them personally make sure they pay in cash & check the notes!

If you are buying, never part with any money without meeting the persons & seeing the goods, unless you have some sort of payment protection.
    Even well established Ebayer's get scammed.

I think this should be a sticky in all the classified sections

hth

4. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

I've had them e-mailing me to when selling puppies or my car.

1 person likes this.
  5. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

my parents were looking for a chihuahua pupy, and i said i would look on the internet, yes we came across scammers, thank goodness i was aware of them as im sure my parents would of sent off money to these people, :mad::mad:

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I have had so many e.mails from scammers when replying to an add iv'e been interested in, its unbelieveable the lenth's they go to ta scam someone, sadly there are poor people that fall for this :( Me NOT being one of them.

7. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Im glad its been brought to attention and I think its comendable that the owner of this site is actively warning everyone about this problem.
    Ive had scammers try it on with me before over puppies, stud dogs and cars!
    It seems there isnt any length they wont go to.
    Whats done it for me this week tho is a scammer from Nigeria tapped into my online banking account and swiped £800! Dont know if i'll see the £800 again yet!
    So just another personal warning from me, (non doggie related), DONT REPLY TO ANY EMAILS THAT APPEAR TO BE FROM YOUR BANK!
    B*******!

8. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

Sender :
    HELLO SELLO I AM TINA LUIS I WILL LIKE TO BUY YOUR DOG FOR FATHER IN FRANCE
    AND
    I WILL LIKE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I WILL PAY YOU WITH MONEY ORDER OR EVEN
    WITH
    MY COMPANY CHECK OK SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING FOR ME I WILL LIKE
    YOU
    TO PLS GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR FULL INFOR SUCH AS YOUR FULL NAME ,FULL
    ADDRESS
    AND YOUR ZIP CODE AND YOU PHONE NUMBER AND THE FINAL PRICE YOU WILL SELL
    THE
    ITEM OK GET BACK TO ME NOW SO THAT THE MONEY ORDER CAN BE MAIL OUT TO YOU
    ASAP
    THANKS MAY GOD BLESS YOU

9. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

That exactly the sort of thing they will send you! :mad:

10. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

lol do you think its a scammer then.i thought i would post it on here rather than being very rude back:p

11. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Yeah, ive had half a dozen emails like that. Its exactly the sort of wording they use :(
    Some say they'r from Ireland aswell.

12. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

Hello,
    I will like to say a big thank you for your reply,its so good to hear that the labrador puppies is still Aavialable i think it would be a great buy.Its perfectly okay with me. I travel a lot in my line of buisness hence the reason why i wont be able to come view the labrador puppies at your end.....im acting on your words on a basis of "mutual trust" thats why i will be proceeding to make payment for it.. and also am buying this pups for myself . and it will be good to let you know that i will be paying you with a bank draft or company's cheque that was intended for me through services rendered (£1,000). The only problem is that sum owed me by the investment company is more than the price of your labrador puppies. I would greatly appreciate if you could deduct sum of your labrador puppies (£200)from the amount and have the rest of (£800) sent to my shipping agent. so that they will come for the pickup of the labrador puppies in your location. I will wait till draft or cheque clears before i instruct my shipping agent to take up ownership of the labrador puppies on my behalf. I really am very sorry that it has to be this way but i do not want to miss out on this great buy. Please send me the following information below so i could have the company make out the draft in your name and send it to you immediately.
    Thanks.
    Full name...............
    Full address.................
    Mobile phone number...................
    Home number..............
    Mr Bruce

this is what was in my e-mail.
    does he think im stupid
    my reply was no

13. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Thats another example!
    W***ers.

14. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

When i get scam e.mails simalar to this i can tell you my replys are alot more then a simple NO.
    They will deffo know when they get a reply from me and i can assure all it is'nt an e.mail reply they will forget in a hurry lol.

15. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

...:D.....

16. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

yea me too i use to get lots like that when am selling my kittens i hate it as they think you are soo stupid its such a shame people dont realise and send them money etc.. i also get lots of emails from "my bank" saying i need to log in using the link provided and update my information !! am quite lucky i dont have online banking so i knew it was a scam but i have to say if i did have online banking i sadly know i would have logged on and been scamed :( these people have no heart and jsut dont care :(

17. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

It really frustrates me that these scum of the earth people can quite happily scam money of innocent people who earn there cash the honest way and work hard for it too. The pensioners i feel sorry for. :mad::mad::mad:
    Michelle

18. Stellina

Stellina PetForums Newbie

It's amazing how this people work. I started to look for a puppy over 2 months ago and at the beginning I didn't know prices and the way to do things (apart to my logical & common sense) so I exchanged e-mails with a couple of sellers that were sending pictures of puppies that I was suppose to buy trading the money (low amount for a Chihuahua £200 or so) through Western Union.. In the end this couple (they are always lovely families such Mike&Anne.. that have some sort of health problems and live far away ?) were in Cameroon and said that I send the money and they would send the puppy through a pet shipping company (I could check the fake website and track the puppy, apparently).
    In my case, this happened once and I never sent any money... didn't feel comfortable without seeing the puppy in person and at least with the mother. But I am concious these kind of scams are everywhere and a lot of people get caught on them...
    Please check the following gold rules before buying anything from the web:

- Always meet the seller locally.
    - Meet your pet in person before buying.
    - Never pay for shipping.
    - Never wire money.

This is basic. Now, good luck!! I am still looking for my Chihuahua puppy, I haven't lost the hope because I know there is honest people out there!

xxStellina:cool:

19. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Thanks for the warnings folks.

20. karen

karen PetForums Junior

I looked into buting a french bulldog a while back and I found tons of scammers. I found out they they are never where they say they are. Often have moved due to work! Their English is awful and they refuse to allow you to see litters. Never Ever but a pup or dog from the internet. Insist on seeing the parents and the litter mates. I gave up in the end the frenchie breaders we approached that were real where impossible to deal with some having a five year waiting list:eek: Anyone know of fairly priced frenchies let me know:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice