Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Beware metacam!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Barnjake, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Barnjake

Barnjake PetForums Junior

I am writing this to make you aware of the dangers of using Metacam on your pets.
    I lost my beloved Lhasa Apso, Barney, on Saturday as a result of him being prescribed this drug for Spondylosis. He went off his food, developed bloody diarrhoea, vomited blood and in two short days died on a drip alone at the vets. It had caused horrific internal bleeding and kidney failure and the vets had no idea how to save him. It is a long story which I will share if any of you want further info, but please please research this product online before you give it to your pets. I wish with all my heart I had and Barney would still be here. I feel so guilty because I gave it to him and I have to try to live with that.
    It is not permitted anymore for oral use in cats in the US and animals should have blood/urine tests before they are administered it. A one off injection is the only treatment for cats in the US, they have realised the dangers, why haven't we?
    I will never ever give this drug to any of my animals again, whatever they say IT CAN AND DOES KILL.
    I shall continue to get this message to as many as I can in memory of my gorgeous beautiful baby boy. I miss you so much Barney and I'm so sorry xxx

#1 Barnjake, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I'm very sorry for your loss :( (((hugs))) xxx

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss, it's clearly a horrible shock. Don't blame yourself.

It's well known Metacam can cause liver and kidney damage, but a reaction like your Barney's is extreme and rare. Some people can die just as suddenly from aspirin, but it's still available in supermarkets. Metacam enables many dogs to live free from pain, and thereby makes their lives better.

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I seem to remember reading this post on another forum some months ago...........

5. Barnjake

Oh, it's not that rare that's the point. We are just not being made aware, the vets hand it out for just about anything. Check online and you'll see. I just want people to know so they can make their own decision about whether to give it to their pet or not. The Veterinary Medical Directorate are looking into my case now. It's about being properly informed so that we have a choice. I know many dogs seem to benefit, in fact Barney had had small doses before but it seems a longer period of treatment had dramatic and tragic consequences.

whipandchi likes this.
  6. Barnjake

No Smokeybear, it wasn't my post, Barney died on Saturday 3rd Dec 2011. Don't suppose you have any idea where the previous was posted? Maybe it's not so unusual after all, they're just not being linked?

#6 Barnjake, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  7. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear about Barney.

One of my Great Danes was attacked by a dog when she was a pup and resulted in her having a broken leg which required 3 major ops and one or two minor ops as she was growing and she was literally on metacam for about 7 months with no side effects.

8. Linden_Tree

Linden_Tree PetForums Member

Did you not read through the drug information leaflet that came with the Metacam?

It does state:

Nearly all NSAID's carry these risks. The drug companies are not trying to hide the facts, nor are vets, hence the information being provided. The vast majority of animals treated suffer little to no side effects.

Cleo38 likes this.
  9. Barnjake

Of course I read the leaflet, I'm not daft!! I also questioned the vet about it before I gave Barney the stuff. She said it was fine! The point I am trying to make is the leaflet says 'in very rare cases' and the more research I do the more deaths I'm finding. The written warnings carried in Metacam in the UK are not the same as elsewhere, the US have updated their warning this year and it includes that it is not to be used as an oral medication for felines due to too many deaths from kidney failure. They thought Thalidomide was wonderful at one time (for those of you that can remember)!!

10. Linden_Tree

Linden_Tree PetForums Member

How many deaths compared to how many animals being prescribed the drug? What's the percentage?

ALL drugs carry risks; vaccinations can kill, as can worm and flea treatment.
    However, the benefits outweigh the risks in most cases. Unfortuntately, your dog was one of a small percentage who reacted adversely.

Canine Metacam was never licensed for use in cats as far as i am aware.

NSAID's have their place, they alleviate the suffering of thousands upon thousands of animals, and prolong their lives. What are the alternatives? We can hardly leave animals in pain.

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

First of all, I'm really sorry about your dog, what an awful thing to happen, and it's not helped by you trusting and believing you were doing the right thing for him; I've lost a pet before following vet advice and it's devastating, I felt so guilty for not standing up for the course of action I wanted to take, and will never make that mistake again.

Unfortunately, if you are researching metacam on the internet, you will most likely get a skewed idea of adverse reactions. I doubt you'll find many who spread the news about their dog being absolutely fine on the course of metacam, where as you will most likely find that people such as yourself, will turn to the internet to try and find answers, and spread their negative experiences.

I'd also like to point out that many vets do not explain the side effects, nor does medication always come with the leaflet explaining what the side effects are. I've certainly had individual tablets handed to me by vets previously, with no extra information, something I just wouldn't accept now I know enough to question, and I am a right pain with most vets I'm afraid :eek:

12. Barnjake

No, I don't think we should leave animals in pain, but there are alternatives. Metacam has only been available since 2003 here and our animals weren't suffering before then were they? The US does not, as far as I can find out, have a licence for feline Metacam and has been using the canine version, in reduced doses or 'watered' down.
    This is mine and Barney's story, I wanted to share it, people can and will make their own choices but at least they know the dangers are real.

#12 Barnjake, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  13. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

14. Barnjake

No, there are both positive and negative views on the internet. :)

15. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Thankyou for highlighting this, it is always worth reminding people of the dangers of drugs and certainly worth reminding people that dogs need blood and urine tests before being prescribed Metacam.
    I do think some vets are becoming rather blasé when using some drugs.

Also I'm so sorry for your loss, but you cannot keep blaming yourself. We as mere pet owners have to put our trust in our vets.

16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Yes, of course there will be, but you will, imo be far more likely to come across posts from folk who have had bad experiences, and the internet is (these days) one of the first places people turn to. Both my Lab bitches have had metacam in the past, Indie more so, and neither have suffered any side effects. I refused, however, to allow the vet to prescribe rimadyl, another nsaid which has been associated more commonly with adverse reactions in the past.

Researching on the internet will give you an unknown quantity, it will tell you these things happen, but not really to what extent, unless you come across studies specifically relating to this drug and documented statistics of adverse reactions against number of times it's been prescribed, the *data* will (unfortunately) really be meaningless if it isn't a full picture.

Just as an example, there is a misconception that Labradors as a whole, suffer badly with hip dysplasia. I personally believe (and know I'm not alone in thinking this) that part of that is down to the internet, where many folk post for help once their Labrador has been disagnosed as having a problem. So it seems that there's a lot of Labradors with hip dysplasia, when in reality, it's probably a very small percentage, it's just there's not many folk who would post saying *help, my Lab has perfectly healthy hips*, if you see what I mean.

:eek:

17. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

I'm sorry for your loss of Barney :(

I agree that it is always a good reminder of what some medications can do - good and bad. But at the same time I do not think telling people to avoid it helps either.

However I also feel the need to add my old girl was diagnosed with arthritis in the wrist at 18months old and was on metacam intermittently for the next couple of years. Once she developed arthritis in the other wrist and deteriorated she went on metacam permantly which has been another 5 years! So Kc has made it 7 years with improved quality of life and no adverse effects :)

Like any meds, do some research and ask the vets the alternatives if you are not comfortable and if you are not sure about anything talk to your vet!

18. Barnjake

I've not told people to avoid it, just given the info so they can decide for themselves whether to use it. I am glad that it helped your dog and she suffered no ill effects, however if she had become ill or worse I'm sure you'd feel like I do.
    As I said, I had a discussion with my vet, was told that was the best thing and that's why I gave it to him. Had I bothered to do some research... and not believed the vet... well, I have to live with that.
    I hope your dog continues to have a long and happy life x

19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your dog. Unfortunately all the anti inflammatory and pain killer drugs can have awful side effects in very rare cases in all species including humans. You have to weigh up the pros and cons of them all. I have been on anti inflammatories on and off for the last 20 years and every year or so they get changed because the one I am on has been linked to strokes or something else. I am now back on the very first one I had -which is also the only one that actually worked and there is no mention of it being withdrawn or not recommended as I was told 18 years ago when I was taken off it!

Everyone that has their horse on bute long term is aware it can cause liver problems but for day to day management of pain it is the best drug. It is a drug that was used for humans 50 years ago then withdrawn and was used in dogs relatively recently but metacam took its place.

I, for one, hope that metacam is never withdrawn as one day we are going to run out of new drugs to take the place of the ones that are withdrawn every time there is a scare.

20. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

It is good of you to remind us about the reactions some dogs suffer. At the end of the day we have to weigh up the pros and cons of giving medication and also we trust our vets.

Val xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice