Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Betty, pups and heat

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by luvmydogs, Nov 7, 2012.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Betty is due to give birth any time now. My worry is that she cannot bear to be warm - if I put the heating on she goes and sits I'm the patio! This is ok for now, but obviously when the pups come they will need to be warm. Any ideas?

2. SharonM

SharonM PetForums Member

I tend to use heat pads rather than lamps, this way mum/pups can move away from the heat when needed or move back if they start to get a bit cool. Heat lamps are a direct heat which they can't move away from. My heating stays on low constantly when I have pups, not so it's baking hot just to keep it at an even temperature 24/7

3. chaka

chaka PetForums Member

I used a heat pad for the first time for my litter earlier this year, previously have always used lamps, which often means the bitch is too hot. I was very impressed with the heat pad, there was space in the whelping box for my bitch to lie away from it but the pups all piled on there to sleep when they weren't feeding and snuggled up against mum.

4. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have a heat pad. My worry was that she wouldn't sleep near its warmth.

5. jo5

jo5 PetForums Member

I have limited experience only just had my first litter but I would guess its the same as with pregnant women, its like having an inbuilt central heating system when you are pregnant she is probably warm due to this? I would hazard a guess that when pups are here she will be less warm and will want to be with them wherever they are. My girl wouldn't go near her whelping box before labour but she did go in whilst in labour and now because thats where her pups are thats where she wants to be, It will be the same for your girl x

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I'm freezing my ass off for her though! :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice