Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Better night at agility... And guess what?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tigerneko, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I managed to get Tiger off lead for a little while!

It didn't go too badly, he ran straight over 2 hurdles and the tyre jump and kept focused on me! Once we got to the end of those, he spotted the trainers dog and ran over to him but he just wanted to play (albeit roughly, he was quite mouthy) but didn't cause too much trouble!

The trainer was much better too, didn't have a problem although the little dogs are still yapping away in their boxes :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to next week though :)

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Good :thumbup:
    Im really glad about that, heres to next week :D
    and well done on the off lead, I havent had Willow off at agility yet :001_smile:

3. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I was thinking it was either tonight or tomorrow :lol:

Glad it went better - once you get in to it you'll LOVE it :thumbup:

Well done pupster and pupster mum :D

Em
    xx

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Thank you both :)

Babycham - we are only into the 3rd week of classes and there's only Tiger and a sandy coloured terrier that aren't off lead yet (Tiger has taken a huge dislike to this dog, he snapped at it twice tonight and a couple of times last week :() it seems really odd to me that she's trying to push us so much to be off lead because it isn't that much of a problem and at least all the dogs are under control :) I would love to be able to get him around the whole course off lead though :D

Eroswoof - I really do love agility! I dont think we will ever get to competition level but really enjoys it and it burns off a lot of excess energy so that's all that matters :)

I do keep thinking of getting myself an agility dog in future though :D the OH likes Dallies so I guess one of those would enjoy it :) or just a rescue mutt :D

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

We're on our fourth week and there's only two dogs that started at the same time off the lead out of corr must be almost 10.
    Like you say I dont think there's any real rush, like you Im not gonna be doing comp level with Willow, esp as she hates the dog walk and seesaw with a passion that Im not sure can be overcome. But she loves jumps a frames and tunnels. So for me its getting her round at the moment, hopefully the offlead will come :smile:
    My mums CC PP is really enjoying it, he was really confident round the whole course on Saturday and he's improved on the jumps massively

1 person likes this.
  6. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

What level of training do you need to be at to do agility? It sounds like so much fun.

Glad your dog did well. :)

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Wow it's like the total opposite lol for me, I'd rather be in a class where the dogs were on lead, just so that I didn't have that worry of one of them running
    towards him and having all hell break loose lol

I thought Tiger would be scared of the contact equipment, but he doesn't seem bothered by the dog walk, we used the A-frame for the first time last night and he loved it! And the seesaw will be out from next week :) so that will be interesting :D I think he will like it :)

well they do reccommend that your dog at least has a good recall and can do a good 'stay'. It also helps if they're good off lead and can do a 'wait' or 'stop' command.

Tiger can do none of these things :D (well, his stay is 100% at home but there's too many distractions at the class) and we still have fun!

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Glad it went better.

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Glad it went better this week :D

Maybe the trainer was just having a bad day last week and took ot out on you because you were late. Not that she should have done that maybe she just needed to count to 10 and start again in a better frame of mind.

10. Pets_R_Me:)

Pets_R_Me:) Guest

Glad it went better this week. I got Cali off lead for two runs last week (back on lead for long jump though!!!:rolleyes:) Makes you feel so good when you manage a few obstacles with your handling skills rather than because you have control with a lead, doesn't it!! Well done to both of you :D

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Pleased to hear that.:)

12. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Sounds good:)

13. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Dallies are very high energy dogs and love agility. The aim to please and are highly intellegent.

Mine use to come riding with me when i was on a hack and she still had energy after too!. My new dally is going to hopefully be a show dog. I will be looking into agility too for both of them, Now i dont have the horses i think its the only way i cna burn off some of their engery. unless i go and buy another horse lol

And well done on a good session and being off lead! x

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone - I am very proud of him & much more at ease with the trainer now, hopefully she was just having a bad day!

hehe we are doing the long jump next week, along with the see saw! I think we will struggle with the long jump more than the see saw tbh!

It felt great seeing him run off lead! It was a hurdle, followed by the tyre jump followed by another hurdle all in a straight line facing away from the other dogs in the class but it still felt great! He is nowhere near ready to go around the whole course off lead but that was way better than I expected so i'm happy :)

aww I bet she loved being out with the horse :) you didn't have an appaloosa did you :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice