Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Better food but tons of poop!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Yvonne Tarrant, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Yvonne Tarrant

Hi I've changed my 4 month 6kg puppy from Royal Canin to Canagan after researching it was a much better food. His poops started off firmer but now some are sloppy and there's a lot of it!!. When he goes he does two lots. In the night, in the morning, around 12pm, 4pm and 10pm. I'm feeding him slightly less than it says on the packet but should i cut it down some more? Could to much food be causing this?. Many thanks.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Yep, overfeeding can cause loose poops. Reduce the amount per day or spread what he has now out with an extra meal and see how he goes.
    Feeding guides are only guides after all :)

3. Yvonne Tarrant

Hi when you say extra meal do you mean feed him 4 times a day ? Thanks .

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

An extra meal using the same daily quantity of food will make it easier for his tum to process. I would also try reducing the amount a bit more.
    Canagan is much better in my opinion. However, it’s only good if it suits your dog. The difference between the two is a lot and could be why he’s struggling to adjust. Did you change over gradually?
    It can take weeks to fully adjust.
    I changed mine from a single protein high carb to multiple protein low carb gradually over 4 weeks. A few grammes at a time stopping and starting at various levels because mine has a very sensitive tum but it was well worth it. She has less than the recommended amount.

5. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Hiya! Really pleased to read you've managed to try something else for Heidi and been successful. Would be great to know which food she's on now ☺. Hope you're both well!

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried my dog on Orijen, supposedlly one of the best foods. She had evil wind and copious stools , so I think it was too high protein for her. As @Mum2Heidi says it's only good if it suits your dog.

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hello! Good to see you back again. Hope all is good with you and yours. Heidi’s having Eden:)!!!

henry likes this.
  8. henry

henry PetForums VIP

That's great! Bet you're pleased. It's a great food. X

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  9. henry

henry PetForums VIP

If you fancy a catch-up, send me a email, I can't find your email address, had a laptop change and lost it :( Intrigued as to how you got Heidi into Eden :)

10. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Member

I had similar issues when I got my puppy. The breeder was feeding it on Royal Canin and after doing research I looked for other better quality foods. We switched to Canagan which was good but, my pooch did produce some very large,smelly poos. After doing some more research and talking to my current supplier, I found that some dogs don't like too much protein in their diet and as such introducing a kibbles with sweet potato added has made a big difference. No more huge poos and certainly less smelly. Whilst doing my research to get to this point I found this article useful: https://cifood.co.uk/the-pursuit-of-perfect-poo-ci-really-good-dog-food

11. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

Mine are on Akela which is another one of the 80:20 foods. The border terrier probably eats close to the recommended amount, but the collie's daily amount is way below the guidelines. Their poos are great and very similar to raw poos, but if I fed the amounts stated in the feeding guides, we'd definitely have slop. I had tried them on Eden before we switched, but that created seriously sloppy poos no matter how little I fed.

12. Yvonne Tarrant

Thank you for all your replies, I've cut his food down slightly at each meal and cut out the chew sticks (one a day) and now things seem to be much better.

tantrumbean likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice