UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Betta's fins are deteriorating

480 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Oliver's Exotics 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I got back from a month-long holiday just under a week ago. I trusted my friend to look after my betta Severus while I was away, and when I got back the whole tank was green. I spent 3 hours trying to clean it (and there's still some left over even now. Severus also looked like his fins and tail were rotting (pictures attached). As soon as I got him home I gave him some Bettafix, but I don't know what treatments I can use on him when I have snails in the tank too.
Purple Liquid Cookware and bakeware Serveware Gas
Purple Organism Pet supply Water Violet

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, these sort of issues are invariably due to poor water quality. Do you have water test kit results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Its possible your friend let the ammonia and nitrites build up and these can make a fish more susceptible to disease as well as damaging their skin, gills and organs.

The presence of lits of algae indicates that there were lits if,nutrients in the water so its also possible your friend was overfeeding the fish and the filter couldnt cope.

The best treatment is regular water changes. The bettafix will help as well. If there is no improvement after a week then let us know. It may be that more specific medication is needed.

#3 ·
Thank you for your response

The water quality was horrendous when I got back. I definitely think he was overfed too, as nearly a whole pack of food was used, despite my instructions and demonstration. I completely changed his water on Saturday, and I have ordered a new sponge for his filter as well. It should be arriving soon. How frequently should I change his water now? More often than my usual 25% biweekly?

#4 ·
Please don't change the whole sponge in one go as it will have all the good bacteria on it. Unless its one if these throw away filter cartridges with the zeolite included there is no need to replace the sponge unless it was falling apart and even then the swap needs to be gradual and in pieces. The filter sponge should be gently rinsed in old tap water

What sort of filter is it ?

I would suggest you do a 10 to 20 percent change daily for the next week.

Ideally you need to test the water daily using a test kit to monitor the ammonia and nitrite. Any if these at all is highly toxic. The API master test kit is one if the best, liquid tests kits are the most accurate.

If your readings are zero then you can go back to your normal schedule. If not feed very sparingly eg once every couple of days and do a daily 25% water change.

Seachem prime is good to use. It us a water conditioner but also neutralises ammonia but ensures it remains in a form that allows the filter bacteria to feed and grow.

Overfeeding would have overwhelmed the filter.

#7 ·
It normally happens due to poor water quality i would buy a test kit most likely it would be a slight ammonia spike over a couple weeks that could do it i would take the snails out and use a more brutal treatment depending how long you fish has been like that because not all the time cheap not stronge treatments do the trick if you still are confused or dont know what to do go to a local fish shop not pets at home because they give crap advice any small shops not big box shops and ask for there advice and see what meds you can buy for the fish

Hope this helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.