Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Betta fish velvet?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Danw92, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Danw92

Danw92 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I'm looking to get your opinions on my beta fish. She's had these white marks on her head since we got her. We've tried a white spot and fungus treatment but it hasn't made a difference. I'm wondering if it's maybe velvet?

She seems to spend a lot of time at the bottom of her tank too. It's 40l and kept at 26 degrees celcius. The tank has been set up for about 4 month now and has weekly water changes

There are 2 snails and 6 tetras in the tank too.

Do you think I should be worried?

20210228_103346.jpg
    20210228_103322.jpg

#1 Danw92, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Dan, welcome to PF.

White spots/marks definitely are not velvet. Velvet looks like the fish has been sprinkled in gold dust, and it's hard to see without shining a torch on the fish. It's also most prolific in fry. I know getting a picture of a fish is difficult enough as it is, but could you get a clearer one? Try focussing the camera on a fixed point in the tank - not on the fish itself. A pic of the full tank will be helpful too.

Do you have any readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
    Do you use dechlorinator when you do water changes?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice