Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Betta Fish Sick

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by TifiPL, May 12, 2021.

1. TifiPL

TifiPL PetForums Newbie

In the past few days my betta fish stopped eating and swimming staying at the bottom of the tank and today I woke up to it laying at the bottom of the tank on its side gasping and I'm not sure if its a velvet or fungi infection please help

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Could your give us any more information?

Tank size?
    Filtration?
    Pics of the tank?
    Any readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
    Tank mates?
    Age of the fish?
    Last water change (and how much you changed)
    Did you use dechloronator?

I'm sorry that you're asking for advice and I'm just bombarding you with more questions, but the more information you provide, the more likely we are to be able to help.

3. TifiPL

TifiPL PetForums Newbie

so the ph level is at stable 6.5
    tank sizer is 25 litres
    it has a filter running 24/7
    i had the water tested and ll the level of ammonia and nitrite and nitrate are fine
    no tank mates
    unsure of the age as when i bough it it was already fully grown
    last water change was done on 4th of may and it was 2/3 of water and i used dechloronator
    one weird thing i noticed is that the algae came back unusualy quickly after the water change and it covered the rocks

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi.

Do you have the actual results for the toxins? One person's fine is another's OMG!

How long have you had the fish?

Could you post pic?

If you have an algae problem, then you're either feeding too much, or the tank's getting too much light.

Do an emergency water change now with the dechloronator, but I must be honest, it's not looking good. :( I have seen a fish come back from this before so I wouldn't lose all hope, but it's fairly rare.

Actually, what dechloronator are you using?

5. TifiPL

TifiPL PetForums Newbie

and alge problem could have been due to my all-nighter with uni work the other day i forgot to turn of the light overnight
    Tetra Aqua safe
    the results are
    7.4 for the ph sorry i miss wrote the ph before which now makes me think it could be the reason
    hardness 125 mg/l
    nitrate 0
    and nitrite 0
    which could have been caused due the water change as there was definitely a cycle before
    chlorine is 0

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never understood why people insist that a 0ppm nitrate reading means the tank isn't cycled, when if it wasn't cycled, the nitrate level would be exactly the same as baseline - ie, tapwater, and in nature, nitrate is broken down to carbon, just like ammonia and nitrite.

However, if those are test strips, please be advised that they're notoriously inaccurate.

Yes, leaving your light on 24hrs a day would cause an algae problem.

pH 7.4 should be fine for bettas.

How long have you had him/how long has the tank been set up?

7. TifiPL

TifiPL PetForums Newbie

ive had him since christmas time and have not had issues until not too long ago the tank was set up around a 2 weeks before i got the fish

8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

If he's from a store, then he shouldn't be that old, then.

Did you cycle the tank before you got him? (Cycling a tank means adding a source of ammonia to the water to simulate the fish, and testing ammonia and nitrite every day until they spike and go back down to 0 - it doesn't just mean setting the tank up and adding water).

If you haven't already, do the emergency water change - be careful to temperature match the replacement water to the tank water to avoid shocking him and pour the water in slowly. If you have an air pump, add that for extra oxygen, then lights off and leave him. Don't try to feed him tonight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice