Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bets wire cat carrier?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SpringDance, Feb 25, 2017.

1. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Inspired by the fabric cat carrier thread, but I didn't want to hijack that one.

I want a top loader, but the plastic ones that clip together make me a little nervous, plus things are starting to snap on my plastic carrier.

I don't mind spending a little more, as I want to buy it once and not have to buy another, if possible.

Thanks!

huckybuck likes this.
  2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

3. SpringDance

Thank you. I saw the link, but wondered if any makes were considered better - like the plastic carriers, the choice is overwhelming!

4. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I'd love a wire carrier for the HBs but they get car sick easily and scared at the vets so I need the sides covered. Does anyone know if there are breathable lightweight covers available?

Sorry to de track on your thread SD but thought someone who has these carriers may know.

SpringDance likes this.
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

What I like about the wire ones is they usually have a tray at the bottom so if pussy is feeling obstinate and doesn't want to come out at the vets, you just whip out the tray and pussy in it. :eek:

SpringDance likes this.
  6. OrientalSlave

They are rectangular so very easy to make a cover for, or you can just use a throw.

huckybuck likes this.
  7. OrientalSlave

I'd be surprised if there is more than a couple of people actually making the wire carriers. They last for years, so just choose the size that suits you best.

8. OrientalSlave

Surely you just lift the cat out? After all you would have to reach past it to get hold of the tray?

9. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Mine is a front opening one :)

10. OrientalSlave

11. SpringDance

That's a good point!

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

After trying a couple of different versions trying to catch Jimmy, I can confirm that there are at least two different designs. One I tried had the front opening whereas another could be opened from the top, or have the bottom panel slid out.....The locking mechanism for the bottom panel seemed a little weak to me.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I like the wire carriers but the standard 12 inch high size is too low for either of my large cats, because they get stressed if they have to crouch in the carrier and can't sit up. So I bought the larger size, 14 inches high, but it's flimsier than the standard size and under the cat's weight the carrier sagged leaving a gap between carrier and lid, which was large enough for the cat to get a paw in with risk of it being trapped.

I decided I'd buy a stronger carrier made of steel rather than plastic coated wire, at a cost of around £80. But then discovered the empty carrier weighs around 6 kg, so once I added a 6 kg cat the resulting 12 kg would be too heavy for me to carry, as I have back problems. :(

I use the small domed wire carriers for my smaller cats, but for the large cats I tried several plastic carriers, but the plastic became brittle after a while and clips snapped off. I also tried a zipped fabric one but it jammed with the cat inside and I had to force the zip open (thus breaking it! ). So I have gone back to using my large domed wicker carriers for the big boys. The carriers are 30 yrs old, but still good. I decided I'll stick with the wicker ones until some enterprising company makes a lightweight aluminium carrier large enough for my purpose.:)

Paddypaws, huckybuck and SpringDance like this.
  14. SpringDance

#14 SpringDance, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    huckybuck likes this.
  15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I like the covers! Looks as though they are made of canvas maybe, so it should be possible to cut a window.

The large carrier is a good height at 14 inches but very long at over 21 inches so I doubt I would get it into the back seat of my car, as my car has only 2 doors. :( What a pity! :(

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@chillminx I agree that the standard wire carriers are quite small too, or maybe my cats are all big!
    Funnily enough I too mainly use a large, old wicker carrier. I bought it from a charity shop over 20 years ago and it is a huge old fashioned looking thing but I much prefer it to the back up plastic carrier I have.
    Luckily none of my cats have ever been messy in the carrier as I guess wicker wouldn't handle a pooping cat too well. :eek:

17. OrientalSlave

Unless it's for a long journey or it's a massive cat the standard size carriers are fine - the cat has room to lie down.

18. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I got both of mine from the vet, two different vets as one is about 25 years old, so they're fairly standard I think. I have noticed some of the ones I've seen online don't look as well made so worth seeing if vet will sell you one.

I just put a beach towel over them if I want to cover, I can hold the handle through the towel.

I put a towel and puppy training pad on the bottom. Sykes did a poo once on the way home from the vets. She even managed to cover it by scratching the other half of the puppy pad over it so was easy to clean up. Just wish I could've done something about the smell though ....

19. OrientalSlave

Why spend good money on a cover to cut holes in it, when a throw will do nicely?

20. SpringDance

It seemed easier and more stable to use! I can imagine myself struggling with a throw that keeps slipping of or getting tangled round my feet while I'm also struggling with car keys/ bag etc! I'm a clumsy person!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice