Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best wet cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Laura Caton, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Laura Caton

Laura Caton PetForums Newbie

Having 2 Ragdolls (and 4 dogs) I’m wanting to feed them nutrition and quality at an affordable price. I have a subscription at KatKin but at roughly £2/195g pouch it’s just too expensive for me. My Raggies need 2 pouches per day each. Hence I want to offer other less expensive brands but avoiding things like whiskas etc (and no dried foods). I’ve been looking at Feringa and Mjamjam which appear to be decent quality and more affordable. Any advice or comments on these, or other high-nutrition wet foods would be gratefully received.

2. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Senior

Two pouches a day is very little food for a cat, have you thought about buying tins instead? I've seen good feedback about Smilla from Zooplus or Bitiba, as it's fairly cheap and has no cereals/sugar etc. Unfortunately they're out of stock at the moment, but when it's back in, that might be worth a try.

lorilu and Laura Caton like this.
  3. Bettybobbins

Bettybobbins PetForums Junior

There’s a good thread in the Sri kh section above “zooplus”. Three of mine adore Feringa but one is not a fan as he refuses anything pate type texture.

4. Laura Caton

The two pouches each per day is double the portion recommended by KatKin. This equates to £4 per cat, hence my dilemma. I will certainly check out your suggestions re Zooplus. Cheers for that

teddylion likes this.
  5. Laura Caton

Great… I’ll check it out now. Thanks for that

6. AstroKitties

AstroKitties PetForums Member

Don't know if it's the best wet food but I think it is good quality. Mine enjoy Feringa, Rosie's Farm, Catz Finefood from Zooplus and they get Blink or Applaws for Sunday Roast.

They used to have Animonda Carny but think it is bit higher in offal and caused slightly softer poo in Skylar. I tried Smilla but they never really finished their meals so stopped getting it.

Luna is 14 months and Skylar 11 months and eat between 300-400g a day depending how active they have been as are indoor cats.

teddylion likes this.
  7. Laura Caton

Thanks so much for your input. It’s much appreciated. My two are Ragdolls, both almost a year old and being a large breed they’re still growing. Although they have around 400g each of the KatKin they also get their noses in with the dogs meals so very likely polish off a further 50g each. I’ve now ordered Mjamjam on Amazon and waiting for Zooplus to restock the Feringa. Both these seem to have similar meat content. I will have a look at Rosie’s Farm and Catz too. Thanks again

8. HRay

HRay PetForums Newbie

Mine are enjoying Smilla, Bozita and Animonda Carny. Variety is really important for mental stimulation and keeping your cats looking forward to each meal.

I know I wouldn't be keen on eating the same meal 3 times a day, every day!

teddylion likes this.
  9. teddylion

Fellow ragdoll staff member here :) I didn't realise the pouches were 200g each but that makes more sense - usually pouches are 100g.

10. Laura Caton

I totally agree. I’m the same with my dogs too, ringing the changes with raw, canned and home-cooked. The fur babes deserve a good diet

11. Laura Caton

Yes, around 190-200g and very meaty with no gravy or jelly to speak of. Which also raises the question of adequate moisture as my two hardly use the water bowl, I tend to add water to the food to be on the safe side

lorilu and teddylion like this.
  12. bluesunbeam

bluesunbeam PetForums Member

When i read these posts about fussy eaters (i think MrsFunkin posted she had tried 16 different types on Oscar on one day!) i always remember my mum being told by the vet that he only ever fed his cats the same type and flavour of food from when they were kittens and never had any problems with them not eating. When Humphrey, who was a constant fusspot with food, passed away my mum got two kittens and remembering the vets advice.... ignored it and ended up with two more fussy eaters, but i do wonder if this strategy would work and if anyone on the forum has tried it?

13. Laura Caton

I personally feel that long-term, a single brand/flavour won’t deliver the nutritional benefits of a varied diet. Although the many ‘completes’ are said to contain an extraordinary amount of added vitamins/minerals I feel this is a misleading marketing ploy. A truly nutritious blend of foods would not require those additives. A varied protein diet will surely provide a wider range of the elements necessary for optimum health in our pets as well as ourselves.

lorilu and bluesunbeam like this.
  14. teddylion

That's an interesting theory about not changing the food, I wonder if it works. I always thought it was because they would have such varied prey in the wild, but I guess it could also be because we spoil them! :)

In terms of adding water to wet food, that's exactly what I've started to do with mine after one of them suffered cystitis and the vet warned me about dry foods. Neither of them seem to mind and I feel comforted knowing it's keeping them well hydrated and flushed out.

Laura Caton and lorilu like this.
  15. bluesunbeam

bluesunbeam PetForums Member

Yes you make a good point. My post was slightly tongue in cheek but the story is true and i have always wondered if anyone has tried this. I have always worried that my two may be missing out on certain elements of nutrition since the area behind my house that used to provide rich pickings in the way of mice,rats and birds for them was developed and curtailed their hunting. Smudge used to regularly leave headless mice on my pillow for me - not a great thing to wake up to especially if it had got it stuck in my hair, but i did speculate that maybe she was getting some particular nutritional benefit from the head; on the other hand it might just be that she enjoyed the crunchiness of it but that seems unlikely as most animals will make the most of any kills they make.

#15 bluesunbeam, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Laura Caton likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would guard against too much more of that. Dog food is not balanced nutrition for cats, the main issue usually being a lack of taurine, but their needs are so different.

You might try adding some raw into their rotation. :)

17. Laura Caton

Yes the cats have the same raw as the dogs but with added turkey thigh (high taurine). Or if I run out I give powdered taurine.

lorilu likes this.
  18. Laura Caton

Yes!!! There’re an alarming number of posts on my ‘pet health’ groups from members whose dry-fed cats are prone to UTIs.

19. teddylion

Having read so many horror stories about what can happen with UTIs/blockages in particular, I now get a bit upset when I see all those bags of dry cat food at the supermarket.

I was even reading an interview recently where the rapper Azalia Banks mentioned her cat had died and the vet had told her it was from feeding him kibble. Horrible.

20. Laura Caton

Yep. Totally agree. Kibbles (all of them) have no place in a dog’s diet and certainly cause damage to many cats. They ought not be available for cats at all.
    In all honesty, I have been a raw feeder since researching dog food 6yrs ago. The cats also were happy on raw (with added taurine). However, the quality has gradually diminished from the many suppliers I’ve used, to the point where it often has an ‘off’ smell. I can only theorise that with raw becoming more popular, many more suppliers popping up = less of the quality/cheap items available to suppliers??? (Just my theory).
    Anyhow, I’m beginning to introduce canned to the dogs (Millie’s Wolfheart) and the cats have been on KatKin for 5 wks but at the rate my cats are eating (they’re still growing) it’s been working out at £5+ per day just for the 2 cats, and that includes rotating with the raw. The Mjamjam should arrive today so fingers crossed Roxy & Simba will take to it

Zooplus have now restocked some varieties of Feringa. I’ve just placed an order… yey!!!

#20 Laura Caton, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    bluesunbeam and teddylion like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice