Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best Western

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by niki87, Aug 22, 2013.

1. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Hi I was wondering if anyone had taken their pooch for an overnight stay in a Best Western hotel? We are booked in for Saturday but am not sure what to expect? Never stayed in a dog friendly hotel before so would appreciate all thoughts and tips.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I stay in hotels with my dogs all the time, at least once a week.

I normally ask for a room on the ground floor so I can get in and out more easily and also to reduce frightening the non dog lovers to death (I have a GSD).

I always ask where the nearest place to run the dog is.

I take collapsible bowl for water and feed my dogs in the car.

Also take their bed(s).

Not sure what else you were expecting; they do not lay on special stuff for dogs; you are usually not allowed to leave your dog in your room unattended.

If your dog is not used to the comings and goings of a hotel and is noisy then I would recommend that you do not.

3. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Yes to one in Manchester, though couple of years ago now so may have changed & can depend on hotel. They were a bit :eek: on their size ( 2 greyhound 26/28" tall not a great dane) and commented that normally they only allowed small dogs (didn't say that online) but didn't kick us out. Think it may have cost £10 extra for dogs, they weren't allowed in bar or seating area in foyer which was ok & not uncommon. As you aren't supposed to leave dogs unattended we had breakfast individually, I suspected the dogs would whine so didn't want to risk it.

Did have an issue that when we took dogs out for last loo break the door was locked tried the contact thing on desk with no answer & eventually found Porter asleep in the bar, prefer to stay in places now that have better night access as with dogs can need to nip out quick.

#3 2Hounds, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  4. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how many dogs they accept? I can't find it on the website.

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Best Western have different policies at different hotels, so if you select the hotel and look at their pet policy it will state if dogs are allowed, how many, and if there is any cost.

6. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

We have a 12 week Cavalier, and yesterday we had her first bark...someone had bought me a bunch of flowers and she didn't like them lol!! But it was barely recognisable as a noise!! So think we should be OK.

However all I meant was what to expect with the staff? Others guests...are they OK generally? And I suppose with other dogs in other rooms...has anyone had a problem with noise?

Thanks!!

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Well I have never had any issues with staff or guests in the 8+ years I have been travelling regularly with my dog(s) apart from the same you encounter outside hotels eg some are dog lovers, some are not.

I have stayed in hotels where the dogs of other guests have been extremely noisy eg barked every time someone went past the door and have complained (as have others).

If you think your dog will be unsettled see if you can have a room at the end of the corridoor to minimise footfall past your room.

Mine are not noisy in the room and I would not expect them to be.

Some people have left dogs unattended in a room and their dogs have made LOTS of noise.

So if in doubt, leave in car (well ventilated, caged out etc etc ).

8. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I prefer trying to find a pet friendly B&B or pub. Have stayed in two with a very lively young Irish Setter - both places were great. In the pub she was allowed in the bar, but we stayed outside on the patio with her as it was her first time away from home and she was a little too interested in the other people - all of whom were dog lovers.

Most people like Irish Setters, so she gets a lot of attention as I expect your pup will do, so I wouldn't think you'd find it too hard.

The only thing I will say is that pet friendly places tolerate dogs - as long as there's no sign you were there when you leave. i.e., muddy feet aren't expected, nor hairs on furniture. They do have to think about the next guest to come along. With a very young pup like yours I'd be a bit worried about accidents in the night. I'd make sure you can get in and out of the hotel easily to take her for regular toilet breaks. Even though she might be fine at home, going somewhere different might unsettle her.

All in all I found the experience much easier than expected, so prepare as much as you can, and then relax and enjoy. If you're stressed, she will be too!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice