Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best Way to Transport Puppy in a Car?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rhiannalillymay, Aug 23, 2018.

1. rhiannalillymay

rhiannalillymay PetForums Newbie

Hello,

We are due to pick up our Cocker Spaniel pup in 6 weeks time. I've been searching for the best way to transport a puppy in a car? Initially on her first journey home I will be sitting in the back of the car with her, but I am struggling to find what is best for future journeys? I've seen crates, dog guards, soft carriers/cradles and harnesses that attach to the seatbelt. Any suggestions on travelling as a pup and when she is bigger?

Thanks.

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

If this were me I would use a small crate on the back seat with the seat belt around it and sit next to her.
    perhaps when she is older you could use a dog seat belt.
    Congratulations ! Hope you will keep us updated and post some photos.

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Probably personal preference and what fits your car. I prefer a crate as i wouldn't want my dogs on the car seats. Mine probably isn't as study as it could be to protect a dog in a serious accident but it should at least prevent my dogs from escaping the car and onto a busy road.
    I also like that when i fully open the tail gate, the dogs are still secure until i am ready to open the crate gates.

The safest crates are very sturdy indeed and lockable - but i just have wire ones with a sheet to cover them.

4. salxx

salxx PetForums Junior

For the first 6 months I had a crate wedged in behind the passenger seat. If she is dirty she goes in the boot otherwise she sits in the back. If we leave the village she always wears a harness with seat belt attachment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice