Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best way to train walking on one side??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by flynnsmum, Aug 2, 2009.

1. flynnsmum

flynnsmum PetForums Member

At the moment whenever I take Flynn out he zig-zags from one side to the other. I know it's all new to him and he wants to sniff everything around him but can anyone recommend a way of teaching him to walk one side of the lead. I want him on my left hand side while walking him. ANy tips gratefully received :smilewinkgrin:

2. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Hi,

How old is Flynn, if he's a pup then really you should be training him to walk nice on a leash in your home, and then your garden first. Actually with all training you need to start at home first, with no distractions, and then only add more distractions, when he's is reliably walking nice on a loose leash to your left, and gives you attention when you request it.

So many new pup owners make the very easy mistake of taking their pup out for walks and expect to be able to compete with all the new smells, sights, sounds. This is simply asking too much of a pup, and setting the pup up for failure, and you up for frustration.

This is a great book for teaching any dog, any age, to walk nice on a leash, and to give you attention. But start off at home.

My Dog Pulls. What Do I Do? by Turid Rugaas

3. flynnsmum

flynnsmum PetForums Member

Thank you for your advice. Flynn is 3 months old and I have only just started to take him outside the front door. I will give your method a go and start taking him up the garden on his lead. Thanks also for the book recommendation. :thumbsup:

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

To get mine to walk on the left I only use to reward them from my left hand side. But as they are collies they learn very quickly.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

How about using a clicker?
    Only click and treat when he is on your left and not your right?

I find it easier to do off lead with clicker training for this so a secure area is needed, and using treats at first to lure the pup where you want him to be and clicking when he is in the right place :)

x

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs always walk on the left, they dont have any choice, that is the side the lead is and they walk beside me. When on the lead they are walking not sniffing so if the head went down they would be corrected. If I am exercising a dog on the lead, ie not letting it off in a normally off lead area, then it would be on a flexi lead and allowed to range around and have fun where it liked within reason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice