Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best way to get a dog fit again?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by YellowLab, Jan 27, 2012.

1. YellowLab

YellowLab PetForums Senior

Yogi needs to get back in shape after being in season. We have forest trails around here and I could take her swimming if I go out of my way a bit but she doesnt really tend to swim, just splash about. Ive decided to jog a bit but cant go that far as 1) im VERY unfit!! 2) I have to run with a buggy (off road one)
    Is getting Yogi to jog beside me ok? She is obviously fitter than me and can go further than me so I dont think I would be pushing her beyond her limit to jog on lead next to me. What else can I do though? Shes a 2.5yr old female lab

2. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Does having a season take away from their fitness then?

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Can you afford some hydro if you are worried about impact / fitness etc? I would have thought just building up walks again slowly to what you were doing before would work....but don't have experience of keeping a bitch so hopefully those that do will be along soon!

4. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

was wondering this too, sophie was just as fit after her season, perhaps its because she hasnt been getting as much exercise when on heat

jogging sounds like a good idea, hows her recall? cant you take her to a park or a field somewhere let her offlead and throw a ball around for her and let her have big offlead runs? or could get her a long line so she can run around

5. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

She won't be as fit as she was before her season but she wont be that unfit either TBH. (I'm assuming you have kept her in doors during her season with no outdoor exercise.)

Yogi should be fine jogging beside you. Give it a try on your next walk and see how you get on.

6. YellowLab

YellowLab PetForums Senior

Yes she hasnt been allowed out for exercise outside of the garden. I did keep her in for a month just to be on the safe side as I REALLY dont need puppies!! I took her for a longer than normal walk today and she seemed really slow and like she was really tired. SHe is like that after each season until I can build her back up but was wondering the best/most effective way

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Just because the outward signs of season has finished it doesn't mean that your bitch is back to normal. Why do you think that vets leave spaying until well after a season?

I would suggest that your bitch is actually still suffering the after affects and not lack of fitness

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If she's sound one way to help get condition back is to stand at the bottom of a slope, and throw a ball for them to retrieve, build it up slowly so they're not absolutely knackered, but it gives them chance to have a good run. It's best throwing up hill if they haven't had any strenuous exercise for a while or if you're not 100% sure if they're sound, as they will most likely run out quicker than they will back, and downhill will put more stress on the joints.

I've been doing something similar with Tau, but for the opposite reason, to get her fit for her season.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice