Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

best way to distract a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by codyann, Mar 27, 2011.

1. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

hey i am looking for a bit of advice on how to distract my chihuahua when a dog or person goes by as she is acompulsive barker, i have tried treats and calling her and a sqeeker toy i have evan tried to distract her before the people or dogs go by and still it dont work. i allways take her out so she is used to people and dogs,

2. mushymouth

mushymouth PetForums Senior

Have you just used dog treats. I used to find higher value treats worked better outdoors like chicken or cheese etc

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Primula cheese is good as the dog gets engrossed in trying to get the cheese out of the tube. I think the trick seems to be getting their attention before they notice whatever makes them bark by sitting them and making them work for the cheese. I have just had success with this as Kilo started to bark at horses out of the blue about a fortnight ago; just a couple of sessions with the cheese and problem solved (fingers crossed!!!) - no more barking when they come past :D.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'll go along with the Primula cheese thing - they work very hard at trying to get it out of the tube and seem to focus much longer than if they just get a treat. ;)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I just make sure that I hold it near the end as they are quick to work out that a bite further down the tube squeezes loads out :rolleyes:

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

My mini JRT was like this when I first got her. I don't think there's a quick fix because in little dogs this behaviour is usually caused by fear. I would take her to obedience classes regularly to get her to focus on you when there are distractions and build her confidence.

My Jrt will walk along and look at me waiting for the next signal/command. She does occasionally still bark at someone but it's only when they do something unexpected or are carrying a bizarre object and she's still improving all the time.

7. Stephen&Dogs

Stephen&Dogs PetForums VIP

Exactly what i was about to say :D

8. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

thanks i will go along with the cheese idea :D and also the training, i took her out today and i couldnt relax due to her non stop barking :mad: and whatever i did i couldnt stop her, thanks ill update you all with her progress :D x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice