Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Best vegetables to grow in a raised garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Howard Hill, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Howard Hill

Howard Hill PetForums Newbie

Thanks to my new job, I now have more free time to myself every morning, which I normally use for exercising. But I want to do some gardening too for a change, so I purchased plastic raised garden bed kits from this provider I found online. I haven’t tried actual gardening before, though I have some basic knowledge. What vegetables can you recommend that I grow in these raised beds? Thanks in advance.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

How big an area do you have? Carrots would be quite good, mainly the small Chantenay or round sorts. Lettuce too would be an easy starter crop. It's a bit late now for broad beans or peas, and they could easily blow over in a raised bed. Radishes (if you like them), spring onions for salads (too late now for proper onions which would have been suitable). For next winter, how about some kale?
    I think it's a bit of a waste of effort growing things that are very cheap in the shops, like spuds and cabbage. I use my veg patch for things that are best picked and eaten very fresh, like straight off the plant.

I'd avoid spinach, chard and leaf beet in a raised bed; they would rapidly bolt if it was hot and dry for a few days.

3. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Dwarf french beans, beetroot, mixed salad seeds ( like "spicy leaves" or "french salad leaves"), radish, kale grown as a baby leaf not as a hulking great cabbage. For speedy greens and instant gratification, pop a "living lettuce" selection from the supermarket in and eat it as cut and come again.

It will also make a good herb bed for things like thyme, oregano, parsley etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice